Author Topic: DeSantis Meets With Republicans on Capitol Hill, to a Lukewarm Response  (Read 5179 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: DeSantis Meets With Republicans on Capitol Hill, to a Lukewarm Response
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2023, 10:52:13 pm »
DeSantis can fight Trump, and if he loses, come back and try again for the nomination in subsequent elections.

When Trump loses in 2024, either in the primary or the general election, that will be it, and we'll be rid of him for good.

Much rather be where DeSantis is than where Trump is.

IMHO Trumpers are going to be in for a rude awakening.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2023, 11:03:59 pm »

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:05:51 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2023, 11:08:14 pm »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2023, 11:22:42 pm »
IMHO Trumpers are going to be in for a rude awakening.

DeSantis is in a rut. His trek to D.C. didn’t help.
At a big moment for him, the Florida governor was overshadowed by rival Donald Trump’s string of endorsements.
Politico, Apr 19, 2023

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis waves as he departs an event in Washington, D.C., on April 18, 2023.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/19/desantis-dc-trump-endorsement-00092695

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:36:27 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2023, 11:23:58 pm »
DeSantis can fight Trump, and if he loses, come back and try again for the nomination in subsequent elections.

When Trump loses in 2024, either in the primary or the general election, that will be it, and we'll be rid of him for good.

Much rather be where DeSantis is than where Trump is.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2023, 11:33:34 pm »

DeSantis is a willing useful idiot in the legacy GOP's efforts to take down Donald Trump and end the MAGA movement.  Did this man-child not expect a 360° fight?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2023, 01:12:03 am »

Did this man-child not expect a 360° fight?

Apparently not.  Your soon to be 80 year old man-child expected a coronation for the nomination, not the 360 degree fight for the nomination he's going to get.

Trump is a former president who is leading in the polls. The path of least resistance for any Republican politician is to announce right now that they are backing Trump.  Why not?  So the important number to be counting isn't the number who have endorsed Trump, but the number who haven't. And then ask yourself why they haven't.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:53:49 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2023, 03:55:01 am »

I'd say its more like the conservatives and populists fighting each other, but maybe that's just me.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2023, 04:25:37 am »
   NYT, Politico, what's next Mother Jones?

Looks like all the left wing media outlets are pushing for Trump to be the GOP nominee.  I wonder why.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2023, 04:30:57 am »

Francisco Franco also declined to endorse DeSantis for President today.  Typically though, people don't get endorsements until they decide to run.  I don't recall Trump getting any endorsements in the Florida governor's race last year.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2023, 04:55:18 am »
Francisco Franco also declined to endorse DeSantis for President today.  Typically though, people don't get endorsements until they decide to run.

Or .... As they work to change Floridian law to accommodate the part-time governor's run, the statehouse leaders could say:  "If the governor chooses to run for president, he will have my complete support".  Easy-peasy.  888blackhat

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2023, 05:49:25 am »
Lol, Trump is so hated I bet 3/4th of those "endorsments" will put the level for someone else.

This article was one of three put out by the same group (centralist ie. Rino press)....

POLITICO, for example, has three pieces out this morning on the subject.

DeSantis gets warm words at GOP Hill event, but few endorsements
Playbook: How Trump ambushed DeSantis in D.C.
DeSantis is in a rut. His trek to D.C. didn’t help.

But if DeSantis is in a rut, a person that has not even declared yet.... then why has the latest polling showing the opposite?

https://redstate.com/benkew/2023/04/17/poll-suggests-ron-desantis-would-outperform-trump-in-2024-biden-match-up-n732442

POLITICO is a news outlet that is “For D.C., By D.C.”. It is entirely focused on Washington gossip from a center-left perspective. And what does the left care about right now? The Rise (and Hopefully Fall!) of Ron DeSantis, same as some here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:14:37 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline LMAO

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2023, 11:33:39 am »
Looks like all the left wing media outlets are pushing for Trump to be the GOP nominee.  I wonder why.

Because the Democrats have a playbook for defeating Trump and many of his endorsed candidates that has worked effectively
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 04:25:33 pm »
DeSantis is a willing useful idiot in the legacy GOP's efforts to take down Donald Trump and end the MAGA movement.  Did this man-child not expect a 360° fight?

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2023, 04:56:26 pm »
Is a politician’s endorsement supposed to persuade the rest of us?  I was always told they were self-serving.  Maybe things have changed.

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2023, 05:02:07 pm »
The Hill
@thehill

Republican representing DeSantis’s former Florida district endorses Trump https://trib.al/t2xx2ng

12:06 PM · Apr 20, 2023

“Today I am proud to endorse Donald J. Trump for President,” Waltz said in a statement. “Under his leadership, President Trump secured our southern border, created seven million jobs with record-low unemployment, brought manufacturing back to the U.S., made America energy independent and affordable, brokered historic Middle East peace deals, destroyed the ISIS caliphate, launched the Space Force, took out Soleimani, gave veterans choice, and put measures in place to stop China’s march towards global dominance.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3960706-republican-representing-desantiss-former-florida-district-endorses-trump/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 05:05:30 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2023, 05:09:33 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia just think of the expanded horizons if you would spend half as much time trashing Biden as DeSantis.

The Orange menace pretty much has this wrapped up, but in the process  has pissed off the most conservative 10-15% of the GOP base.  Good luck getting him elected like that.  He got my vote last time.  This time?   F him.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2023, 05:11:18 pm »
As long as Trump is King of the GOP, his loyal House of Reps subjects will not betray him.  Not for DeSantis.  Not for Romney.  Not for Mitch McConnell.

Most GOP Senators will not openly disparage nor betray Trump, publicly.  Privately, they'll wish Trump would go away.

The GOP belongs to Trump, until it doesn't.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2023, 05:11:33 pm »
"@michaelgwaltz on President Trump's leadership: "Every time I called the president needing something for my district, he answered the phone or called me back within hours, and always delivered." (Video)

https://twitter.com/MAGAIncWarRoom/status/1649091721605660679

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2023, 05:16:32 pm »
As long as Trump is King of the GOP, his loyal House of Reps subjects will not betray him.  Not for DeSantis.  Not for Romney.  Not for Mitch McConnell.

Most GOP Senators will not openly disparage nor betray Trump, publicly.  Privately, they'll wish Trump would go away.

The GOP belongs to Trump, until it doesn't.

The worst of leaders, lead by installing fear.  They saw what he did in '16 with the Stone-Pecker Slime machine, and that apparatus is already in motion against DeSantis.

But that is the state of affairs of the modern GOP..... Feckless, ball-less, limp wicks who capitualte in fear in the mere presence of Trump.  Till Trump loses this time, all we can hope for is a re-start.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2023, 05:25:22 pm »
The worst of leaders, lead by installing fear.  They saw what he did in '16 with the Stone-Pecker Slime machine, and that apparatus is already in motion against DeSantis.

But that is the state of affairs of the modern GOP..... Feckless, ball-less, limp wicks who capitualte in fear in the mere presence of Trump.

Nah.  Trump's earned support -----

“Today I am proud to endorse Donald J. Trump for President,” Waltz said in a statement. “Under his leadership, President Trump secured our southern border, created seven million jobs with record-low unemployment, brought manufacturing back to the U.S., made America energy independent and affordable, brokered historic Middle East peace deals, destroyed the ISIS caliphate, launched the Space Force, took out Soleimani, gave veterans choice, and put measures in place to stop China’s march towards global dominance.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3960706-republican-representing-desantiss-former-florida-district-endorses-trump/

Offline LMAO

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2023, 05:29:43 pm »
Is a politician’s endorsement supposed to persuade the rest of us?  I was always told they were self-serving.  Maybe things have changed.

MAGAs are notoriously “flexible” wink777

I have no doubt that if the same politicians were endorsing Ron DeSantis, the MAGAs would tell us how that’s further evidence that Ron DeSantis is bought and paid for by the “one world government globalist RINOs”…lol
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2023, 05:33:37 pm »

But that is the state of affairs of the modern GOP..... Feckless, ball-less, limp wicks who capitualte in fear in the mere presence of Trump.  Till Trump loses this time, all we can hope for is a re-start.

That's exactly why I want DeSantis to challenge him even if he is destined to lose.  Trump deserves to be opposed, and having an opposition candidate is necessary to show that the entire GOP isn't filled with cowards.

If Trump wins the nomination and then gets clobbered in November, what are they all going to say then??  There are going to be an awful lot of guys standing around with their peckers in their hands, looking at their feet and muttering an embarrassed "well, we probably should have done more to try to stop him but it's too late now."  So screw that.  I'll take the guy who is willing to stand up there and give it his best shot, win or lose.  Because at least if he loses, we'll know that he is the one who had the guts to at least try.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2023, 05:51:22 pm »
Facts Nordau
@MaxNordau
Massie supports DeSantis because DeSantis has taken on Big Pharma, Big Tech, and Big Entertainment.
Establishment Republicans are supporting Trump because DeSantis has taken on Big Pharma, Big Tech, and Big Entertainment.

https://twitter.com/NvrBackDown24/status/1649048922458038273
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org