Author Topic: US bets big on carbon-sucking machines  (Read 200 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US bets big on carbon-sucking machines
« on: April 19, 2023, 11:36:18 am »
US bets big on carbon-sucking machines
Published on 18/04/2023, 12:10pm

The US has offered $3.5 billion in grants towards direct air capture, hoping to bring down the costs of removing carbon from the atmosphere

A piece of equipment called a distributor used to hold trays of limestone for capturing carbon is seen at the Heirloom Carbon Technologies facility in Brisbane, California, U.S. February 1, 2023. REUTERS/Nathan Frandino/File Photo

By Reuters

The world is failing to cut carbon emissions fast enough to avoid disastrous climate change, a dawning truth that is giving life to a technology that for years has been marginal – pulling carbon dioxide from the air.

Leading the charge, the U.S. government has offered $3.5 billion in grants to build the factories that will capture and permanently store the gas – the largest such effort globally to help halt climate change through Direct Air Capture (DAC) and expanded a tax credit to $180/tonne to bolster the burgeoning technology.

The sums involved dwarf funding available in other regions, such as Britain which has pledged up to 100 million pounds ($124 million) for DAC research and development. That compares with $12 billion in federal spending to drive demand for personal and commercial electric vehicles, Boston Consulting Group estimated.

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2023/04/18/us-bets-3-5bn-on-carbon-sucking-machines/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: US bets big on carbon-sucking machines
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 09:56:10 pm »
"US bets big on carbon-sucking machines"

The only thing these contraptions will prove efficient at "sucking" is public funding, of which they will gorge upon billions and billions...

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 01:35:42 am »
I thought nature already created those, you know trees, bushes, etc.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 02:07:07 am »
   Sounds like they resurrected the 'Covid Ventilator Scheme' to me.  Ford must be happy.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.