Author Topic: Parking Garage Collapses in Lower Manhattan; Injuries Reported  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Citizen App video taken from what appears to be a nearby building shows cars piled on top of each other as rubble is seen from the collapsed floor

A parking garage has collapsed in the Financial District Tuesday afternoon and at least three people are reported injured, according to senior FDNY officials.

The collapse took place on Ann Street near Nassau Street at around 4 p.m.

The garage is a location where the New York Sheriff's Department parks their vehicles, New York City Sheriff Anthony Miranda told News 4 New York. All members of the department are accounted for. The concern is now whether parking garage employees and other parking garage users are safe.

According to senior FDNY officials, the second floor of a five-story parking garage, collapsed into the first floor.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/top-floor-of-financial-district-parking-garage-collapses/4252095/

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Parking Garage Collapses in Lower Manhattan; Injuries Reported
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 09:40:47 pm »
Breaking story

Mayor is giving a live presser at the moment

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 09:41:55 pm »
1 person killed in NYC parking garage collapse, officials warn injuries and death totals may ‘change rapidly’

(Update)

https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/parking-garage-collapses-in-nycs-financial-district-video/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 10:21:50 pm »

This photo provided by Charlie Franklin shows a partially collapsed parking garage in lower Manhattan's Financial District, Tuesday, April 18, 2023, in New York. Officials didn't immediately release any information on injuries.  (Charlie Franklin via AP)

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 11:32:54 pm »
Prayers for the injured but I wonder how many EV's were parked on the level that collapsed?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 11:35:08 pm »
Awful. I never feel entirely safe in a parking garage, for some reason ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 12:02:15 am »
Well from the picture that garage seems far from modern so I doubt it was built with modern car weights in mind EV or ICE.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 12:15:17 am »
Well from the picture that garage seems far from modern so I doubt it was built with modern car weights in mind EV or ICE.
Just like most of the parking garages in which I find myself. Yikes.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 12:22:47 am »
Just like most of the parking garages in which I find myself. Yikes.

There's a way to fix that...
I have never been in a parking garage in my life... At least not that I recall...
And I have made it over maybe forty years and never once parallel parked.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 01:56:22 am »
Prayers for the injured but I wonder how many EV's were parked on the level that collapsed?
I too pray for the injured and their families and friends, but admittedly, I wondered the same thing about EVs. More load on the structure, and this could be just another unintended consequence.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 02:11:15 am »
We are seeing  in increasing frequency what happens when a nation shorts itself on infrastructure maintenance and renewal.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 02:16:29 am »
I have never been in a parking garage in my life... At least not that I recall...
I have been in a couple in my travels. Don't like 'em, but I see why they have them.

As for parallel parking, where I grew up you got 30 seconds, or three tries to park, if you failed or if you bumped the poles, or your tires were more than 10 inches from the curb (which they had where I took the test, but not within miles of my house) you failed your driver's test and did not get your license. I got pretty good at it, but only rarely use it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 02:21:08 am »

Especailly if you live in a seismic zone. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 02:28:11 am »
Especailly if you live in a seismic zone.
Hello California! Lately what the elderly and other less than competent drivers have been doing is rolling the walls and down down down! The pisser is that that's were the disabled parking is at St. Josephs were I take my wife. It's been a year and they still can't get off the pot and come up with a fix.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 02:32:34 am »
Hello California! Lately what the elderly and other less than competent drivers have been doing is rolling the walls and down down down! The pisser is that that's were the disabled parking is at St. Josephs were I take my wife. It's been a year and they still can't get off the pot and come up with a fix.

I bet if a lawyer was called, warned them, and asked for an acknowledgement  affidavit, they'd do something about it

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 02:18:17 pm »
Old building, overused and overweighted beyond it reduced strength.

Manhattan is, unfortunately, full of old buildings that, in any rational city, would have been torn down years ago and replaced with newer and better.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 04:55:42 pm »
Our old cities have old structures, from parking garages to bridges.
 Heaven help us when they come a-tumbling down.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 12:48:09 pm »
Our old cities have old structures, from parking garages to bridges.
 Heaven help us when they come a-tumbling down.

This one apparently had some very substantial defects:

Collapsed Manhattan parking garage has long record of structural issues, including 11-foot cracks in walls, roof: docs

By Nolan Hicks, Joe Marino and Emily Crane
April 20, 2023

The Manhattan parking garage that collapsed this week, killing one and injuring five, has a lengthy history of structural issues that required substantial repairs — including 11-foot-long cracks in the walls and roof, engineering docs obtained by The Post show.

The extensive work required to make the Financial District parking deck safe was laid bare in a 2010 engineering report after the owners of the Ann Street building were slapped with a violation summons by the city.

The laundry list of repairs included multiple 11-foot wall cracks on the second floor and cracks in the roof measuring 10 feet and 4 feet. Fractures were also discovered in at least one spot where the building’s ground floor columns connected to a ceiling support beam, according to the report.

It’s not clear if any of the dangerous issues were ever repaired.

“These are major items. Beams are a big deal,” an engineering expert who reviewed the documents told The Post.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/20/collapsed-manhattan-parking-garage-has-long-history-of-structural-issues-docs/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 02:16:16 pm »
Owners of collapsed NYC parking garage revealed as rich LI brothers who’ve flipped properties for decades

By Zachary Kussin, Jack Morphet and Steve Janoski
April 20, 2023

The mega-rich owners of the Financial District parking garage that collapsed Tuesday, killing one worker and injuring several others, are wealthy New Yorkers from ritzy suburbs who have been buying and selling property for decades, city records show.

The two brothers — Alan and Jeffrey Henick — formed a company named 57 Ann Street Realty Associates and took out a $3 million mortgage in December 1988 to buy the lot, according to property records.

But that wasn’t their only endeavor.

Alan Henick also ran WB Acquisition, which sold a commercial property near the Brooklyn waterfront to a development group for nearly $20 million in 2012, according to the real estate website the Real Deal.

And he’s the CEO of the Brooklyn-based Western Carpet and Linoleum, a century-old business operating out of the same Williamsburg neighborhood, according to public records.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/20/owners-of-collapsed-ann-street-garage-are-rich-new-yorkers-from-the-suburbs/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 02:28:01 pm »

I lived in Boston for 7 years and hardly ever parallel parked. The key was to find a spot on the corner of a block, or a spot just a little bit farther out without an adjacent car.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »
I lived in Boston for 7 years and hardly ever parallel parked. The key was to find a spot on the corner of a block, or a spot just a little bit farther out without an adjacent car.

I lived in NYC for 10 years and used to parallel park all the time - a big Crown Vic - best I ever did was getting into a space with about 8 inches to spare front and back.  As far as I'm concerned, they're called "bumpers" for a reason.

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 02:36:07 pm »
I lived in NYC for 10 years and used to parallel park all the time - a big Crown Vic - best I ever did was getting into a space with about 8 inches to spare front and back.  As far as I'm concerned, they're called "bumpers" for a reason.

Yep, done that too. Especially when Massholes leave you about 1 inch of space in back and front.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2023, 02:59:11 pm »
Yep, done that too. Especially when Massholes leave you about 1 inch of space in back and front.

My "favorite" part was alternate side parking.  I was lucky enough to find a stretch of block near my apartment where the ticket fairy would not come through once the street sweeper had been and done its thing - so a bunch of us would sit in our cars once the 4-hour window started, wait for the sweeper to come up behind us, then make a big arcing U-turn around the sweeper and, right back in the same spot.

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 03:01:04 pm »
Owners of collapsed NYC parking garage revealed as rich LI brothers who’ve flipped properties for decades

By Zachary Kussin, Jack Morphet and Steve Janoski
April 20, 2023

The mega-rich owners of the Financial District parking garage that collapsed Tuesday, killing one worker and injuring several others, are wealthy New Yorkers from ritzy suburbs who have been buying and selling property for decades, city records show.

The two brothers — Alan and Jeffrey Henick — formed a company named 57 Ann Street Realty Associates and took out a $3 million mortgage in December 1988 to buy the lot, according to property records.

But that wasn’t their only endeavor.

Alan Henick also ran WB Acquisition, which sold a commercial property near the Brooklyn waterfront to a development group for nearly $20 million in 2012, according to the real estate website the Real Deal.

And he’s the CEO of the Brooklyn-based Western Carpet and Linoleum, a century-old business operating out of the same Williamsburg neighborhood, according to public records.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/20/owners-of-collapsed-ann-street-garage-are-rich-new-yorkers-from-the-suburbs/

Good, then they'll be able to afford the repairs and lawsuits...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2023, 04:57:26 pm »

I've just never been without a driveway, generally lived out of town, and it didn't hurt that most of the time I was dragging a trailer along behind.  :laugh:

Still, I can't remember ever being in a parking garage at all.  :shrug:

So as always, Rural wins  happy77