Author Topic: Ron DeSantis says Florida didn’t have ‘state pride’ until he became Governor  (Read 585 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ron DeSantis says Florida didn’t have ‘state pride’ until he became Governor
Florida Politics, Apr 15, 2023

The Governor said Florida looked to New Hampshire for inspiration.

Gov. Ron DeSantis dissed Florida’s history during his latest out-of-state political junket.

In the Granite State addressing the New Hampshire GOP at the Amos Tuck Dinner, the Governor suggested Floridians were not proud of the state before he arrived on the political scene.

“I was born and raised in Florida, and it’s only been recently that we’ve developed a sense of state pride ourselves,” DeSantis said. “We’re proud to have stood up for freedom in the last few years when it wasn’t easy. We did it our own way and I’m proud of that.”

“But I must admit we draw inspiration from the people here in New Hampshire,” DeSantis continued. “Because more than any other state, you don’t mince words when it comes to your stand on liberty. You say it very clearly: Live Free or Die.”

This was the second speech in two days where DeSantis seemed to dis the Sunshine State, where he was born and raised, in an introduction.

More:
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/603553-state-pride-desantis/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CI%20was%20born%20and%20raised,'m%20proud%20of%20that.%E2%80%9D

Eric Cortellessa
@EricCortellessa

“I've always been proud to live in Florida and I've never met another Floridian who isn't proud to live in the Sunshine State,” @SenRickScott
 tells me, in a less-than-subtle dig at DeSantis. “We have great weather, low taxes, & pride in our state and our country and its history.”

2:43 PM · Apr 17, 2023

Offline ScottinVA

You keep this ongoing diatribe against the most successful governor in the US, yet wonder why people harshly retort your posts.

Because of the cult-like devotion of MAGAs to Trump, DeSantis probably wouldn’t win the GOP nomination, but he’d be far and away a better President.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You keep this ongoing diatribe against the most successful governor in the US, yet wonder why people harshly retort your posts.

Because of the cult-like devotion of MAGAs to Trump, DeSantis probably wouldn’t win the GOP nomination, but he’d be far and away a better President.

Trump wouldn't be quite as dangerous as he is If he didn't have a large group of people endorsing anything he says and does simply because it is him saying or doing it.  They're one of the major reasons I can't vote for the guy in the general.  Read enough of what they have said at TOS and here to know I don't want anything to do with that.

As opposed to the meatball cult?   :laugh:

Most successful governor in the US?  That's pretty insulting to the other 25 Republican governors ---- many with opposition in their statehouses.  Not to mention a slap at Mike DeWine who won reelection with a 25 percent margin of victory --- in Ohio.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:33:43 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline ScottinVA

Most successful governor in the US?  That's pretty insulting to the other 25 Republican governors ---- many with opposition in their statehouses.  Not to mention a slap at Mike DeWine who won reelection with a 25 percent margin of victory --- in Ohio.

“Meatball cult”

That’s weak… even for you. 

But don’t you worry, RiV… Trump is a shoo-in for the GOP nomination and will “lead” it to a monumental beatdown by the dems in 2024.  Suburbanites, indies and crossovers abandoned Trump in 2020 and in 2024 will want absolutely nothing to do with him.  You can take that to the bank.

Offline ScottinVA

More people are fleeing to Florida than any other state.  It’s hardly an “insult,” but an absolute fact.

Offline libertybele

Trump wouldn't be quite as dangerous as he is If he didn't have a large group of people endorsing anything he says and does simply because it is him saying or doing it.  They're one of the major reasons I can't vote for the guy in the general.  Read enough of what they have said at TOS and here to know I don't want anything to do with that.

I'm already tired of Trump flapping his mouth.  If he continues (which I'm sure he will) it's going to be a very long campaign season. 

Since I won't be voting for him should he be the GOP nominee, I'm really not interested in what he says anymore.  The guy is a loose cannon at this point and he's only going to get worse.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ScottinVA

Trump’s cult laps up anything their god-king says like it’s imprinted on stone tablets and brought down the mountain by Moses.  I voted for the man in 2016 and 2020, but he and his followers are so wrapped up with conspiracy fetishes, no defeat is ever legitimate; there’s always some massive yet unseen fraud at work.  Plus the fact Trump is nearing 78 and is not in the shape he was years ago.  Time to move aside.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:07:17 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
“Meatball cult”

That’s weak… even for you. 

But don’t you worry, RiV… Trump is a shoo-in for the GOP nomination and will “lead” it to a monumental beatdown by the dems in 2024.  Suburbanites, indies and crossovers abandoned Trump in 2020 and in 2024 will want absolutely nothing to do with him.  You can take that to the bank.

She is a good little Trumpian bot.  Mindlessly regurgitating lies and insults. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

It's been leaked on truth social, presumably by his wife, that Ron always leaves the toilet seat up!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

She is a good little Trumpian bot.  Mindlessly regurgitating lies and insults.

Do you not see the irony in your post?   

Offline libertybele

It's been leaked on truth social, presumably by his wife, that Ron always leaves the toilet seat up!

Oh no!!! **nononono*

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Do you not see the irony in your post?   

You wouldn't know ironing if the board hit you in your ass. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

I'm already tired of Trump flapping his mouth.  If he continues (which I'm sure he will) it's going to be a very long campaign season. 

Since I won't be voting for him should he be the GOP nominee, I'm really not interested in what he says anymore.  The guy is a loose cannon at this point and he's only going to get worse.

And EVERYBODY torn and bloody, with no love toward him at all.
Just in time for the real show.

It's how he rolls. And why he cannot lead.

Offline LMAO

DeSantis does sound Trumpian with his statement here

People were fleeing to Florida before Ron DeSantis was governor
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

DeSantis does sound Trumpian with his statement here

People were fleeing to Florida before Ron DeSantis was governor

As far as people fleeing to FL before DeSantis was governor is true, but definitely not to the extent that they have in the past couple of years.  We saw roughly 1,000 coming in per day.  That is a pretty heavy influx.

Yes, his statement though true, does sound Trumpian; not a good thing. He should have left that statement out.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Gonna be a long two years huh?