Author Topic: Boys have been left devastated by the woke attitude to masculinity  (Read 1117 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Boys have been left devastated by the woke attitude to masculinity
Story by Nick Fletcher • Yesterday 4:43 PM

Society is in danger of demonising boys and young men. They are lambasted in schools by toxic masculinity crusaders and denigrated in popular culture. This environment is having a crushing impact. According to the Health Department, suicide is the biggest cause of death in men under the age of 50 and around three-quarters of deaths from suicides each year are men. Research from Future Dads last year showed that around a third of young men felt left behind by society.

Commentary routinely seems to present boys as inherently bad. The impression is given that parents cannot be trusted to raise them as good citizens, leading to the worrying conclusion that outside organisations should do the job for them. But some organisations which come into schools and talk to boys have developed a habit of telling them to move away from “toxic” masculinity. That, in my view, feeds into a sense of uneasiness.

There urgently needs to be more public and parental scrutiny of this type of content. We need to know exactly what is being said to boys in educational settings. I remain hopeful that the Government’s review on Relationship, Health and Sex Education (RHSE) will lead to firmer guidance on bringing external groups into schools, but it may also need to reinstate a right for parents to first view, and then withdraw their children from workshops that they deem harmful and oppressive to their children.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/boys-have-been-left-devastated-by-the-woke-attitude-to-masculinity/ar-AA19YNVj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=78e9addcec124b9384d211824dcaecbb&ei=107
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Boys have been left devastated by the woke attitude to masculinity
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 11:16:08 am »
Not to mention the trannie epidemic.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 05:46:04 pm »
The left has been waging war against boys, men and masculinity for freaking decades, this isn't new the current battle of feminizing boys is simply the latest attack. What is new is the inclusion of girls and women with the effort to masculinize them. There is only one group that wins in this effort to weaken America...the communists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 05:59:47 pm »
The very best thing my old man did for me was to pick us all up out of that liberal sh*thole called Chicago and bring us all out here, where the standards and mores of manhood are tested in real life and merit.

A handshake is better than a contract, and a man is only as good as his word.

Learn to shoot, rope, and ride. Learn to hunt and fish, build a fire and protect yourself from the weather. Learn to survive mortal peril in a vast wilderness.

Learn to plant gardens, and grow up animals on a farm...

Learn to fix it for yourself - whatever it is.
Learn to do for yourself, whatever it is.

The ways of manhood are never in question here.
All that is in question is if you can live up to them in some way,
to earn for yourself the merit that brings value to your existence.

EVERY male child NEEDS something like this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:04:59 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:10:54 pm »
The very best thing my old man did for me was to pick us all up out of that liberal sh*thole called Chicago and bring us all out here, where the standards and mores of manhood are tested in real life and merit.

Learn to shoot, rope, and ride. Learn to hunt and fish, build a fire and protect yourself from the weather. Learn to survive mortal peril in a vast wilderness.

All that is in question is if you can live up to them in some way, to earn for yourself the merit that brings value to your existence.

Working in nature imparts the critical life lesson that the world does not revolve around you.  That there are sometimes very unpleasant tasks that need to be done if you are going to survive and prosper.  That means working very hard no matter how tired or sore you may be, putting up with petty indignities and discomforts, and accepting and overcoming the random acts of unfairness that nature inevitably will inflict upon you.

Nothing matters except getting the job done, and nature pays no attention to excuses and whining.

That is a life lesson that applies in every endeavor in life, whether you are working in nature, or on the 50th floor of downtown office building.  Somebody has to make sure the job gets done, and the world won't care about your excuses if it doesn't.

Obviously, if you served in the military under any significant adverse conditions, you learn that same lesson.  And truly competitive sports can do some of the same.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:51:31 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 06:23:50 pm »
Speaking of my own life experience, including the raising of two healthy, well-rounded masculine sons, we are failing in providing role models and rites of passage for male youths today. Much of what being a strong male is is learned behavior through the observation of respected elder males - fathers, uncles, brothers, and certain friends - who provide living lessons of how to deal with life and manhood. The ability to face challenges, fear and conflict is best when we have observed others contend with those issues. Same with how to be respectful to spouses, family, others. How resilient we are to setbacks can be developed by role models in our life. There are countless examples of this.

And then, there are the rites of passage that are so important to the development of a solid man.  These are sorely absent in today’s generation of young males. In my life, there were many - and they affirmed I could be entrusted with responsibility. When I received my first pocketknife or my Dad making a slingshot for me were moments in time that told me I was “growing up” and with it came responsibility. Same with learning to shoot a .22 or going deer hunting the first time. I learned getting my first car and which end to hold a wrench. And I learned how to properly treat my first girlfriend.

These things are sorely absent today. Some, even ridiculed. And we are suffering for it.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 06:33:36 pm »
Speaking of my own life experience, including the raising of two healthy, well-rounded masculine sons, we are failing in providing role models and rites of passage for male youths today. Much of what being a strong male is is learned behavior through the observation of respected elder males - fathers, uncles, brothers, and certain friends - who provide living lessons of how to deal with life and manhood. The ability to face challenges, fear and conflict is best when we have observed others contend with those issues. Same with how to be respectful to spouses, family, others. How resilient we are to setbacks can be developed by role models in our life. There are countless examples of this.

And then, there are the rites of passage that are so important to the development of a solid man.  These are sorely absent in today’s generation of young males. In my life, there were many - and they affirmed I could be entrusted with responsibility. When I received my first pocketknife or my Dad making a slingshot for me were moments in time that told me I was “growing up” and with it came responsibility. Same with learning to shoot a .22 or going deer hunting the first time. I learned getting my first car and which end to hold a wrench. And I learned how to properly treat my first girlfriend.

These things are sorely absent today. Some, even ridiculed. And we are suffering for it.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 06:46:01 pm »
Working in nature imparts the critical life lesson that the world does not revolve around you.  That there are sometimes very unpleasant tasks that need to be done if you are going to survive and prosper.  That means working very hard no matter how tired or sore you may be, putting up with petty indignities and discomforts, and accepting and overcoming the random acts of unfairness that nature inevitably will inflict upon you.

Nothing matters except getting the job done, and nature pays no attention to excuses and whining.

That is a life lesson that applies in every endeavor in life, whether you are working in nature, or on the 50th floor of downtown office building.  Somebody has to make sure the job gets done, and the world won't care about your excuses if it doesn't.

Absolutely. Nature would best be called the REAL world. And it is not only unforgiving, it is often painful, and doesn't merely 'suffer no fools'... It KILLS fools... With abandon.

A child raised up in it better learns to cope, and will become relatively fearless... Because nothing in the hamster-habitat like environment that is society comes anywhere near close.

When you've faced down a griz...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 06:50:31 pm »

Absolutely right on the money. Jordan Peterson dwells on this kind of stuff. And its right.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 06:52:43 pm »
I only have a moment then off to the doc…

My sons were hunting in the Badlands of NoDak this year. It was end of the day and they took a nice muley at dusk. Middle of nowhere. It was -17. They had to clean and pack out the deer and they emerged to safety well after dark.

Question - what kind of men do you think they are?  And I don’t mean it in the classic tough guy sense. I mean, their ability to cope, their confidence, their trust in themselves and one another.
John Steinbeck

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 07:05:47 pm »

All that is in question is if you can live up to them in some way,
to earn for yourself the merit that brings value to your existence.

Yep. I got that on the farm, on oyster boats, fishing, hunting, working construction, as a volunteer fireman, to name a few things.

Unfortunately for those growing up today, I got that at an age that most of those activities would be prohibited at today. Hunting at 9--today at least 14. I had a commercial fishing license at 14--today, 18 minimum, if you could even get one. Working heavy construction at 14, and a volunteer fireman, both big for my age and well muscled after nearly a decade of farm work, but today, 18 minimum.

Responsibility came with demonstrating the ability to be responsible, and each step in grade led to greater privileges, and , ultimately, greater responsibility.

What undercut the ability of young men to develop a work ethic and be responsible was being legislated out of being able to hold the very responsibilities and develop that work ethic while still young. With that goes the ability to lose the sneer at the old man who just handed you 80-100 lbs without grunting or breaking a sweat, and develop respect. That humbling, understated, leads to real learning, whether it be putting an engine together, being a better hunter, or working smart, not hard--and frankly, puts all that formal education in perspective.

I believe that the more self-sufficient you become, the more so you want to be (or able to be) and the more freedom that requires.

While pushing buttons and clicking mice has its place, and is yet another tool in the box, without all those other skill sets, that box looks mighty empty. With that emptiness comes a spiritual emptiness, a lack of self-respect, and an inability to define yourself by those skills.

Small wonder kids are so messed up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 07:11:55 pm »
Absolutely. Nature would best be called the REAL world. And it is not only unforgiving, it is often painful, and doesn't merely 'suffer no fools'... It KILLS fools... With abandon.

A child raised up in it better learns to cope, and will become relatively fearless... Because nothing in the hamster-habitat like environment that is society comes anywhere near close.

When you've faced down a griz...
Surviving the slings and arrows of Nature's outrageous fortune makes a person wiser, but also instills compassion for those, who, through no particular stupidity or arrogance of their own, are suffering them too. (Not to mention a profound respect for Nature and a closer walk with The Creator). In this I think we find the roots of human charity and kindness, because we truly understand their pain. Perhaps that was the impetus that actually started civilization, cooperation on hard tasks for mutual benefit (like Amish-style barn raisings), helping that neighbor get in their crops at harvest if they were sick or injured, etc., knowing they'd do the same for you.

All things the "me first" and "every one for themselves" society has abandoned. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 07:13:12 pm »
I only have a moment then off to the doc…

My sons were hunting in the Badlands of NoDak this year. It was end of the day and they took a nice muley at dusk. Middle of nowhere. It was -17. They had to clean and pack out the deer and they emerged to safety well after dark.

Question - what kind of men do you think they are?  And I don’t mean it in the classic tough guy sense. I mean, their ability to cope, their confidence, their trust in themselves and one another.
Well, they sound like a couple of North Dakotans to me... :beer:

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 07:44:57 pm »

:amen: brother!  :amen:

My own personal experience is very similar. I was hunting and fishing on my own at a very young age (on our own place of course) not out of necessity but the fish and game I provided for our family certainly did not go to waste.  I Could skin a buck before I was in my teens. Started driving a tractor and working in haying operations very early on as well. Pretty much had done everything there was to do in a cattle ranching/farming operation before I got out of school and joined the army (I was afraid they might get MY war over before I could get there) Went to Vietnam and managed to survive.

My two sons were brought up as I was for the most part (better machinery was there for them than me but otherwise the same).  Both are well educated and self-sufficient today. I thank God every day for those blessings!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 08:54:23 pm »
Sitting here in an exam room (Missus needs a hip replaced!). Excellent comments!
John Steinbeck

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 10:50:36 pm »
Surviving the slings and arrows of Nature's outrageous fortune makes a person wiser, but also instills compassion for those, who, through no particular stupidity or arrogance of their own, are suffering them too. (Not to mention a profound respect for Nature and a closer walk with The Creator). In this I think we find the roots of human charity and kindness, because we truly understand their pain. Perhaps that was the impetus that actually started civilization, cooperation on hard tasks for mutual benefit (like Amish-style barn raisings), helping that neighbor get in their crops at harvest if they were sick or injured, etc., knowing they'd do the same for you.

All things the "me first" and "every one for themselves" society has abandoned.

A very good point. And maybe why folks are way more neighborly out in the sticks... You always stop to help your neighbor... Because you've been there yourself. An odd counterpoint to the rugged individualism that is demanded in rural parts. Charity is very much a part of it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 10:51:56 pm »
:amen: brother!  :amen:

My own personal experience is very similar. I was hunting and fishing on my own at a very young age (on our own place of course) not out of necessity but the fish and game I provided for our family certainly did not go to waste.  I Could skin a buck before I was in my teens. Started driving a tractor and working in haying operations very early on as well. Pretty much had done everything there was to do in a cattle ranching/farming operation before I got out of school and joined the army (I was afraid they might get MY war over before I could get there) Went to Vietnam and managed to survive.

My two sons were brought up as I was for the most part (better machinery was there for them than me but otherwise the same).  Both are well educated and self-sufficient today. I thank God every day for those blessings!

ALL that.  888high58888

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 02:20:08 am »
A very good point. And maybe why folks are way more neighborly out in the sticks... You always stop to help your neighbor... Because you've been there yourself. An odd counterpoint to the rugged individualism that is demanded in rural parts. Charity is very much a part of it.
Yep. Let someone's kid go missing, and bitter enemies will turn up to help search...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 02:50:52 am »
Yep. Let someone's kid go missing, and bitter enemies will turn up to help search...

That's right... Done the like myself... And oddly thereafter, enemies no more. Go figger.  happy77

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 07:29:11 am »
The other week a young lad (around 2 1/2 y/o) was taken to church with a friend (it was her friend's child). She let the child run wild and be disruptive and explore at leisure.... but when in class with other kids the child kept trying to climb on the heater and after being pulled back a few times got his butt spanked by one of the church leader's sons... Why, spank the child, because he needed it and all his screaming at being told to stop getting near the heater was being ignored. The kid was a brat that had never been told "NO" before.  The pop (with a ruler) left a small mark and the mother went ballistic when she got her child back. Now there is talk about taking the church son to court/jail. Just burns me up.

To me, the problem started years ago when discipline was viewed as cruel and unusual punishment. Parents want others to raise their ill behaved kids because they are too damn lazy to care enough to set their own kids straight. I remember when teachers would wear your behind out, and then call your folks (and they would often do the same). You didn't have mass shooting because a child understood from a young age that society wasn't made for them to poop on.

Uggg... 
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....