Author Topic: Plus-size air travelers petition for free extra seats and other accommodations  (Read 1302 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Plus-size air travelers petition for free extra seats and other accommodations
by Heather Hunter
 April 15, 2023 01:50 PM

A Change.org petition is calling on airlines to allow overweight passengers to get free additional seats.

"Plus-sized" blogger and content creator Jae'lynn Chaney posted the petition to push the Federal Aviation Administration to require airlines to help large passengers.

As of Saturday morning, the petition had more than 4,000 signatures.

"Air travel should be comfortable and accessible for everyone, regardless of size. As plus-size travelers, my partner and I have unfortunately experienced discrimination and discomfort while flying," Chaney wrote in her petition.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/plus-size-air-travelers-petition-for-free-extra-seats-and-other-accommodations
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This is a clear example of too many people thinking the government and business are nannies!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Put them in a cattle car section at the rear of the plane.  The weight distribution would be a bitch though.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

"Free," meaning we normal-sized people  would pay for an obese person's vacation,  in essence.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This will blow some minds, but I think obese people are a threat to other passengers on a plane in an emergency.  They need to find other modes of transportation, period.

Offline Kamaji

"Free," meaning we normal-sized people  would pay for an obese person's vacation,  in essence.

Basically.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
No worries for me.  I don't like traveling by air so I limit my traveling. Yes you get there much quicker, but the airports are usually crowded and I've had luggage lost, and flights delayed. I don't like the take off nor the landing and sometimes once in the air the flight might not be exactly smooth. To me traveling by air is stressful.

I prefer driving.  Bus tours we have found to be very relaxing and enjoyable, but we still had to fly to the destination.  Nope, not a fan of flying.

Agreed; others will be basically paying for the hefty sized person.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This will blow some minds, but I think obese people are a threat to other passengers on a plane in an emergency.  They need to find other modes of transportation, period.
Obese people were kicked out of the Navy for exactly that reason. If we are in compartmented lockdown for battle stations or whatever reason, if they cannot fit through the hatch and cannot hustle, they are a danger to everyone. Exactly as you said.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How about splitting the baby?  OK, Fats gets two seats, but must pay 50% of the price of a second seat.  Nobody wants to sit in a seat being squeezed by the big person anyway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's been almost 40 years since I was on a big jet and I have no intention of getting on one again, but...
... why not several specially-designed "plus-sized" seats on airplanes?
Normally would be reserved for the "big ones" (who would pay a premium for them).

But... if vacant... also available to "normal-sized" passengers for an up-charge...

Offline roamer_1

How about splitting the baby?  OK, Fats gets two seats, but must pay 50% of the price of a second seat.  Nobody wants to sit in a seat being squeezed by the big person anyway.

I am big naturally. Fat now, but even when I was cut, I had to duck my shoulders through doorways, and my neck is bigger than most peoples' thighs. Coach is terrible for folks next to me, because my shoulders are wide enough that they stick out fully past the armrests.

I quit flying for that reason. Unless I pay for first class or business deluxe I just don't fit.

Offline Hoodat

Airlines sell the use of an 18" seat.  Take it or leave it.  If you want 36", then buy two 18" seats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Good idea, @Fishrrman
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
It's been almost 40 years since I was on a big jet and I have no intention of getting on one again, but...
... why not several specially-designed "plus-sized" seats on airplanes?
Normally would be reserved for the "big ones" (who would pay a premium for them).

But... if vacant... also available to "normal-sized" passengers for an up-charge...

888high58888
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

Airlines sell the use of an 18" seat.  Take it or leave it.  If you want 36", then buy two 18" seats.

Nice. Especially for handicapped.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bkmk  :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DefiantMassRINO

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

Nice. Especially for handicapped.  *****rollingeyes*****

Some airlines sell wider seats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Some airlines sell wider seats.

I think it should be indifferent until the plane is full. So long as the plane has the room, there is no difference.

Since my recent hospital stay I am knocked all the way back to disabled. The only way for me to travel would be by wheelchair with assistance... for at least the next few months. If I had to be at the other end of the country for some reason, I'd just be shit out of luck, at any price... unless the two(?) handicap/wheelchair access areas happen to be available  (which they typically are not).

Howabout seating banks that can re-rig easily? Pull a bank out and plug in wheelchair access instead, or wide access, or walker access? The plane is likely half full out here anyway.

And a helluva lot of America don't fit in 18"... especially with handicap gear.

Offline Hoodat

I think it should be indifferent until the plane is full. So long as the plane has the room, there is no difference.

I agree with that.  But most airlines wouldn't know until the last minute.  I no longer travel with my new job.  But up until the end of February, practically every flight I took was booked solid.  Airlines have a tendency to overbook.

As far as handicapped passengers go, they are boarded first.  So it would be up to the airline to account for any extra room.  The bottom line here is that it is a business decision (as it should be).  Businesses have to weigh short term v. long term.  As Anheuser-Busch just did.  If an airline chooses to be a dick airline (like United, for example), then sure, they reap some minimal short term gain by selling an extra ticket.  But in the long term, their reputation takes a hit.

Offline roamer_1

I agree with that.  But most airlines wouldn't know until the last minute.  I no longer travel with my new job.  But up until the end of February, practically every flight I took was booked solid.  Airlines have a tendency to overbook.

As far as handicapped passengers go, they are boarded first.  So it would be up to the airline to account for any extra room.  The bottom line here is that it is a business decision (as it should be).  Businesses have to weigh short term v. long term.  As Anheuser-Busch just did.  If an airline chooses to be a dick airline (like United, for example), then sure, they reap some minimal short term gain by selling an extra ticket.  But in the long term, their reputation takes a hit.

That's all right... I have long been an advocate for the handicapped, because I have lived it... From being on a stick most of my life, to wheelchair and walkers. I am not ridiculous about it... I would not require a city to retrofit curb access for wheelchairs out of spite... But if they are redoing curbs anyway, it ain't no skin off their noses to install wheelchair accessible curbs...

Airlines are largely immune. Sure they have a wheelchair spot or two... but right now, I would literally have to travel with a wheelchair and a catheter because there is no way I could get to the bathroom, not to mention get in it. And right now, I am not really all that bad... getting around here with a wheeled walker.

And there is a whole lot of America that is legitimately 'otherwise enabled' My elderly mother has been left high and dry in Minneapolis and in Denver, because their assisted access in the airports totally dropped the ball. TWICE.

I know it's largely gratis. But it is part of doing business, especially because of many of the elderly. Handicapped should be no different within reason.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 01:41:15 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.