Author Topic: New law allows immigrant professionals to become licensed in Utah  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New law allows immigrant professionals to become licensed in Utah
By Sydnee Gonzalez, KSL.com
 Apr 14, 2023, 10:30am EDT

One of the bills to come out of the most recent session of the Utah Legislature will allow immigrants with foreign professional credentials to be licensed in Utah.Ryan Sun, Deseret NewsPurchase Photo
A new law is opening the door for immigrants with professional licensing and training from foreign countries to become licensed in Utah.

Gov. Spencer Cox recently signed SB35 into law. It allows nine state departments to issue licenses to individuals from other states and countries who can prove they have the necessary skills and experience.

Licensing law restrictions have previously been a barrier for both immigrants wanting to practice their chosen field in Utah and for different industries looking to fill labor shortages. In fact, more than one out of six Utah workers needs a license to legally do their jobs. Although the Beehive State requires more occupations to be licensed than the national average, a recent study found the state has had success in reducing burdensome occupational licensing practices.

Cox said by implementing SB35, Utah is leading the nation by removing licensing barriers that immigrants may face.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2023/4/14/23683232/immigrant-professionals-can-become-licensed-utah
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: New law allows immigrant professionals to become licensed in Utah
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 03:38:10 pm »
What happened to that pesky Federal law that says anyone not legally in the US can be employed...legally?