Author Topic: Russian walrus and polar bears continue to thrive US researchers tell the Washington Post  (Read 109 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Russian walrus and polar bears continue to thrive US researchers tell the Washington Post
Posted on April 15, 2023 | Comments Offon Russian walrus and polar bears continue to thrive US researchers tell the Washington Post

Interviews with US researchers for a piece in the Washington Post earlier today contain revelations that walrus and polar bear populations in the Russian Far East continue to thrive, despite insisting that polar bears face a dire future without human interference.

This article on collateral damage of Russia’s war with Ukraine comes with this stunning sub-headline:

The invasion [of Ukraine] is first and foremost a human tragedy, but it is also dire for wildlife, stalling scientific work on polar bears and other wildlife threatened with extinction.

The article prominently features a researcher working on Chukchi sea polar bears, which are currently thriving but still tagged with a status of “threatened” based entirely on computer models that predict a dire outcome 30 years from now. The writer also interviewed a scientist working on Pacific walrus, which likely number more than 200,000 animals and are not considered “threatened,” a point oddly not mentioned by the author or the researcher interviewed (Crockford 2023; MacCracken et al. 2017; Fischbach et al. 2022; USFWS 2017a,b).

Background: Chukchi Sea walrus

https://polarbearscience.com/2023/04/15/russian-walrus-and-polar-bears-continue-to-thrive-us-researchers-tell-the-washington-post/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson