Author Topic: Shift to ‘flash droughts’ as climate warms  (Read 286 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Shift to ‘flash droughts’ as climate warms
« on: April 16, 2023, 08:42:28 pm »
Peer-Reviewed Publication
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON

PrintEmail App
Embargoed: Not for Release Until 19:00 (7.00 pm) British Summer Time, Thursday, 13 April 2023

‘Flash droughts’ have become more frequent due to human-caused climate change and this trend is predicted to accelerate in a warmer future, according to research published today [13 April 2023] involving the University of Southampton.

The research published in Science shows that flash droughts, which start and develop rapidly, are becoming ‘the new normal’ for droughts, making forecasting and preparing for their impact more difficult.

Flash droughts can develop into severe droughts within a few weeks. They are caused by low precipitation and high evapotranspiration, which quickly depletes the soil of water. While they start quickly, the droughts can last for months, damaging vegetation and ecosystems, and triggering heat waves and wildfires.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/985958
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Shift to ‘flash droughts’ as climate warms
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 08:43:14 pm »
Are "flash droughts" in the same family as "flash bullsh*t?"
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 09:52:28 pm »
‘flash droughts’

Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

Is not "a drought" a LONG dry period...?

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 10:01:04 pm »
What a bullshit title....   Professor of Hydrology and Remote Sensing.  'IT f'er who thinks he's a climatologist. 

And guess what, could find nothing on any "remote' funding.  Imagine that......    Academic POS" with agendas have polluted our colleges.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.