Author Topic: Congress returns to face debt ceiling fight, Judiciary battle  (Read 327 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Congress returns to face debt ceiling fight, Judiciary battle

House Republicans will start considering a plan to raise the nation’s $31.4 trillion borrowing limit when lawmakers return to the U.S. Capitol this week, while the Senate will grapple with a key vacancy that is holding up President Biden’s judicial nominees.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is putting together legislation that pairs a one-year increase in the debt ceiling with spending cuts and other spending limits that are aimed at winning the support of his conservative rank-and-file.

The proposal isn’t ready for floor consideration, but some Republicans say the House GOP should take up the measure this month, well ahead of a summer deadline imposed by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, who said the government will run out of ways to pay the nation’s bills as early as June without Congress granting more borrowing authority.

Mr. McCarthy said he’s been seeking a meeting with Mr. Biden to negotiate a deal, but so far the White House has not agreed. White House officials have said repeatedly they won’t negotiate an increase in the debt limit and that Congress should agree to an increase without stipulations.

Mr. Biden earlier this month blamed the debt ceiling standoff on “extreme MAGA Republicans in Congress” who, he said, “are threatening to wreak havoc on our economy with debt limit brinkmanship.”

Across the Capitol, Senate Republicans will welcome back Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who has been absent for six weeks after suffering a concussion in a fall........................

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/apr/16/congress-returns-face-debt-ceiling-fight-judiciary/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Hoodat

Re: Congress returns to face debt ceiling fight, Judiciary battle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 06:37:49 pm »
A better headline would be "Congress returns to face debt".  How refreshing it would be to hear that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 06:45:58 pm »
A better headline would be "Congress returns to face debt".  How refreshing it would be to hear that.

Of course we know they'll come up with a 'budget'.  *****rollingeyes*****
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 06:50:30 pm »
Spending cuts, of course the democrats ALWAYS do spending cuts on  purely political biases.  The stink on this will be over the mountains.  Cut the meat, not the fat-graft.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 07:07:19 pm »
  McCarthy would have already given the dems everything they ever wanted, without stipulations, if he didn't have the Conservatives threatening him. 
  Thank You Freedom Caucus for not listening to MTG and Trump.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.