Author Topic: 'Let laid off immigrants stay': US lawmakers in letter to immigration services  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

'Let laid off immigrants stay': US lawmakers in letter to immigration services
1 min read . Updated: 13 Apr 2023, 11:00 AM IST

In their letter to USCIS Director Ur Jaddou, the lawmakers have argued that in today's knowledge-based economy, some immigrants possess highly valuable skills

A group of lawmakers from Silicon Valley has expressed concerns over large-scale layoffs in the tech industry and has requested the US Citizenship and Immigration Services to let the high-skilled immigrants stay in the country even if they loose their jobs.

In their letter to USCIS Director Ur Jaddou, the lawmakers have argued that in today's knowledge-based economy, some immigrants possess highly valuable skills, and “forcing them to leave the US is harmful to our nation's long-term economic competitiveness."

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/let-laid-off-immigrants-stay-us-lawmakers-in-letter-to-immigration-services-11681361787040.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
By "immigrants" I'm sure they mean illegal immigrants.  I find it amazing how quickly shepherds, farmers, cow milkers, etc. become so highly skilled. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson