Author Topic: Diving seabird numbers plunge 90pc near offshore wind farms  (Read 122 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Diving seabird numbers plunge 90pc near offshore wind farms
« on: April 16, 2023, 11:53:51 am »
Diving seabird numbers plunge 90pc near offshore wind farms
Story by Joe Pinkstone • Thursday

Populations of a diving seabird plummeted by more than 90 per cent after offshore wind farms were built, a study has found.

Data from German scientists looked at the number of red-throated loons in the North Sea before and after the installation of five offshore wind farms.

Numbers of the birds were found to be up to 94 per cent lower within half a mile of the wind turbines, on average, after they were built.

Wind turbines installed in the North Sea are seen as a key way to generate enough renewable electricity to allow for the phasing out of fossil fuels and to help reach net zero ambitions.

The study focused on five wind farms in the North Sea which are close to the coast of Denmark and Germany.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/diving-seabird-numbers-plunge-90pc-near-offshore-wind-farms/ar-AA19PbpP
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson