Author Topic: Win 10 to Win 11 Upgrade - Worth it or Not?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Win 10 to Win 11 Upgrade - Worth it or Not?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2023, 06:22:08 pm »

You know what's dumb? I have gone, more and more, over to the cloud. Now, understand me in that, because my family has private cloudspace running our own servers, but even so, my volatile current storage goes right up on OneDrive, and I have done all I can to choose Samsung and Microsoft (better the devils I know)and remove Google.

I am doing all I can to get my phones to ONLY talk to my private cloud, but so far, that is a pipe dream, and so long as my phone is being promiscuous, privacy is an illusion. Pick which devil.

With that though, the convenience of all my volatile data being on all of my devices (well, not ALL, but phone, tablet, notebook, laptop and 2 desktops) is not only convenient, but has become a terrific real-time backup.

The stuff I would keep private they already have, natively, because my PIM and comms ARE the dang phone. So what if they get some boilerplate contracts and receipts too?

So as long as I MUST, I will use it. And all I have done so far has led me in a big circle right to that point again and again. As long as the phone is promiscuous, there is no private data.

:thumbsup:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2023, 09:50:11 pm »
Psssst...
Kamaji...

Have you thought of trying a MacBook Pro 14" ??

Or... if it's a desktop in which you're interested... I'd suggest an M2pro Mini.
(can be used with existing keyboard, mouse, accessories)

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 09:09:52 am »
Psssst...
Kamaji...

Have you thought of trying a MacBook Pro 14" ??

Or... if it's a desktop in which you're interested... I'd suggest an M2pro Mini.
(can be used with existing keyboard, mouse, accessories)

Thanks, but no thanks. I have an iPhone, and that’s all the Apple I’m interested in. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 10:06:54 am »

You know what's dumb? I have gone, more and more, over to the cloud. Now, understand me in that, because my family has private cloudspace running our own servers, but even so, my volatile current storage goes right up on OneDrive, and I have done all I can to choose Samsung and Microsoft (better the devils I know)and remove Google.

I am doing all I can to get my phones to ONLY talk to my private cloud, but so far, that is a pipe dream, and so long as my phone is being promiscuous, privacy is an illusion. Pick which devil.

With that though, the convenience of all my volatile data being on all of my devices (well, not ALL, but phone, tablet, notebook, laptop and 2 desktops) is not only convenient, but has become a terrific real-time backup.

The stuff I would keep private they already have, natively, because my PIM and comms ARE the dang phone. So what if they get some boilerplate contracts and receipts too?

So as long as I MUST, I will use it. And all I have done so far has led me in a big circle right to that point again and again. As long as the phone is promiscuous, there is no private data.

@roamer_1

Have a simple question for you...why in 2023 is it STILL not possible to privatize a file/document on your computer with a password of its own?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2023, 11:24:08 am »
@roamer_1

Have a simple question for you...why in 2023 is it STILL not possible to privatize a file/document on your computer with a password of its own?

You can password protect file/documents with zip apps like WinZip, 7-Zip, etc.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2023, 11:47:20 am »
@roamer_1

There are software solutions that will do that for you; however, it is not a built-in feature of, for example, the Windows OS or its file management system.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2023, 12:06:24 pm »

How to password protect a folder or file in Windows 10
https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-password-protect-a-folder-or-file-in-windows-10/

Here’s how to password protect a folder or file in Windows 10.

Using File Explorer, right-click on a file or folder you want password protected
    Click on Properties at the bottom of the context menu
    Click on Advanced…
    Select “Encrypt contents to secure data” and click on Apply
    You’l be prompted to back up your encryption key, you’ll need it if you lose access to your encrypted files

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 01:51:56 pm »
How to password protect a folder or file in Windows 10
https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-password-protect-a-folder-or-file-in-windows-10/

A lot of people forget their password, and i you forget your password and encrypt you're out of luck. Might have something to do with it.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2023, 02:11:05 pm »
A lot of people forget their password, and i you forget your password and encrypt you're out of luck. Might have something to do with it.

Years ago where I worked, before they went to a distributed password system, every month I had to change my passwords  on around 25 machines. I wasn't to use any partial passwords, and no common passwords, and not to write them down. Yeah right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2023, 07:02:19 pm »
@roamer_1

It's entirely possible, @DCPatriot ... You can protect files, folders, or the whole dang drive (though I really don't recommend it).

You can also protect through shares and permissions, though to a guy like me, that would hardly be a bother to crack.

You can also protect through after market encrypted containers... Or a password protected compression files...

There are ways and ways.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2023, 07:05:10 pm »
It's entirely possible, @DCPatriot ... You can protect files, folders, or the whole dang drive (though I really don't recommend it).

You can also protect through shares and permissions, though to a guy like me, that would hardly be a bother to crack.

You can also protect through after market encrypted containers... Or a password protected compression files...

There are ways and ways.

Why doesn't WINDOWS have the select option when document is saved?  It's ridiculous.  :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2023, 07:08:08 pm »
You can password protect file/documents with zip apps like WinZip, 7-Zip, etc.

Handy... but not really stopping anyone that knows anything - Which might be good. It will keep every day Joe out of your junk... but it won't cost much for me to crack it when you forget the password  :laugh:

Except .arj . I have not looked in a while, but Jung's compression and password defied cracking. since hardly anyone uses it anymore, hard telling if anyone has bothered to continue trying to crack it.  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2023, 07:10:37 pm »
There are software solutions that will do that for you; however, it is not a built-in feature of, for example, the Windows OS or its file management system.

Yes, Win can encrypt files, folders, and drives.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2023, 07:11:50 pm »

Bitlocker is my bane. And anyone who uses it had better understand - if you forget, it's probably a brick.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2023, 07:13:31 pm »
Why doesn't WINDOWS have the select option when document is saved?  It's ridiculous.  :smokin:

To save folks like y'all a butt-ton of dough... Paid to folks like me when you forget your password.  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2023, 08:32:46 pm »
For your technical side, Win11 is smoother, tighter, and more secure. It is.

But they BORKED the startbar AGAIN. Mac wannabe crapola.

That's the thing that slays it for me. I am fine with it... but I have a console open at all times... because burrowing down is a waste.

I have yet to find a way to stay in Win11. And I am usually an early adopter. 
Find an old box, jigger the install so it will take it, and just run the thing for a week or two.
You'll make up your mind soon enough.

Me, I will probably stick on Win10 a while longer... Like, till I can't.
Win 10 is my new XP that way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2023, 10:24:18 pm »
Win 10 is my new XP that way.

It kinda removes the point of Windowing for me. If I wanted to run out of a console and a filemanager all the time, I'd still be in Win3.1WFWG.

Part of that is an old program I wrote a bazillion years ago called fire.exe... a glorified console based 'Run' replacement Not only will it run anything in the path, it can also fire all the structural folders in Win from a list dialog... operates like ShellEx, but with a ton of stupid pet tricks... It is easier for me to navigate with that than it is to drill down in Win11.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:25:24 pm by roamer_1 »

• Technical
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2023, 11:15:53 pm »
It kinda removes the point of Windowing for me. If I wanted to run out of a console and a filemanager all the time, I'd still be in Win3.1WFWG.

Part of that is an old program I wrote a bazillion years ago called fire.exe... a glorified console based 'Run' replacement Not only will it run anything in the path, it can also fire all the structural folders in Win from a list dialog... operates like ShellEx, but with a ton of stupid pet tricks... It is easier for me to navigate with that than it is to drill down in Win11.

Really? Firing programs in Windows 11 is easier than ever IMO, you just need to add the path (maybe) and use the search index. No need to drill down ever IMO.

Mac honestly solved that problem with the "Go" utility and MS copied it.

Edit: it's called spotlight search in Macs
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 11:18:35 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2023, 12:07:38 am »
Really? Firing programs in Windows 11 is easier than ever IMO, you just need to add the path (maybe) and use the search index. No need to drill down ever IMO.

Edit: it's called spotlight search in Macs

I find it horrendous. Ponderous.

But then, I am a startbar guy.  In personal operation in Win10, I have all the stuff I need and use all the time (to include utilities) built into the three panels that drop down when I push start. I rarely drill down more than that one push and then select.

The first panel is all shortcuts to the programs I actually use... The second panel is Office oriented with big PIM at a glance, with small icons for Office operations surrounding them... And the third panel, the obligatory weather app and pics, both large, with a ton of lesser used programs and utilities wrapped around them... RDP/VNC , file managers, console iterations, and so on...

That sucks to death in Win11.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2023, 01:25:16 am »

If I had wanted a Mac, I would have bought a Mac.  Same went for New Coke.  If Coke drinkers had wanted something that tastes like Pepsi, they would have bought Pepsi.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

• Technical
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2023, 02:18:52 pm »
If I had wanted a Mac, I would have bought a Mac.  Same went for New Coke.  If Coke drinkers had wanted something that tastes like Pepsi, they would have bought Pepsi.

MS has been copying Macs since the 80's.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2023, 02:42:06 pm »
MS has been copying Macs since the 80's.

Yes and no.  And at any rate, by now, it's developed into a rather different ecosystem.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2023, 03:09:22 pm »
I haven't run on a purchased computer for my home system since I picked up a used 386 in the early 90's. Except I ran for a short time on a Dell my daughter picked up from work. I didn't care for it, but I ran it til I built another system. I never thought of, and even knew, you could build a Mac from scratch. I don't think I'll ever try to build a CustoMac, Hackintosh, or whatever they're called. I've never even run on a Mac. I don't much care for Apple cellphones either.