Author Topic: China doubles down on coal ahead of potential summer blackouts  (Read 122 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
China doubles down on coal ahead of potential summer blackouts
APRIL 13, 2023
By Paul Homewood

That’s funny! I thought China was going to build lots of new solar farms!

China plans to accelerate the approval of new coal mines and fast track the construction of already approved mines to support its baseload energy supply during demand spikes, Liang Changxin, an official from the National Energy Administration (NEA), said on Wednesday.
Peak energy demand is expected to exceed 1.36 billion kilowatts this summer, representing a "significant increase on last year", Liang added.
Some provinces could face power cuts this summer as a result, the NEA official warned.
China’s energy consumption typically spikes in the summer months due to household demand for air conditioning.
This, combined with a related slump in power from hydro sources due to low rainfall, led to a wave of blackouts across southwest China last year.
Officials have repeatedly stressed the role of coal as a "ballast stone" in the energy mix amid a national energy security drive, even as the country attempts to transition toward a greener, renewables-led power system.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/04/13/china-doubles-down-on-coal-ahead-of-potential-summer-blackouts/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson