Author Topic: The Pence-Trump divide deepens, this time over guns  (Read 691 times)

Online libertybele

The Pence-Trump divide deepens, this time over guns
« on: April 14, 2023, 07:31:52 pm »
The Pence-Trump divide deepens, this time over guns

Mike Pence is aiming to get to the right of Donald Trump on guns, bringing debates the two once had behind closed doors in the White House into the public eye.

The former vice president is slated to come on his Hoosier home turf for the National Rifle Association’s annual leadership summit in Indianapolis Friday, during which he is expected to draw implicit contrasts with his former boss.

His speech, according to an adviser, is likely to address both the Nashville and Louisville mass shootings, talk about the importance of mental health facilities, train and supply armed officers at schools and embrace expediting the death penalty for perpetrators.

What Pence won’t talk about, though, is perhaps more instructive: Championing red flag laws that give law enforcement officials the opportunity to intervene when a person is deemed as high-risk, as well as banning bump stocks. Those two issues were ones Trump was open to or acted upon during his administration. Pence advocated for red flag laws as vice president, but has since disavowed the idea, with his Advancing American Freedom group coming out against it in March 2022.

“It will make for interesting political theater,” said a Republican close to past such NRA proceedings who has met with both Trump and Pence on the issue of firearms, and was granted anonymity to discuss private conversations.

The reversal is part of an effort to paint Trump as unreliable on Second Amendment rights. And, indeed, when asked for comment, a Pence adviser sent a February 2018 Daily Mail item referencing Sen. Diane Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) positive reaction to Trump’s willingness to consider firearm restrictions: “Feinstein can’t contain her glee in gun control meeting with Trump.”...............

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/14/pence-trump-guns-nra-00091977
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

Re: The Pence-Trump divide deepens, this time over guns
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 07:40:22 pm »
It cannot be denied that we are starting to see the leftward drift of Donald Trump

I understand the attractiveness of red flag laws. I also understand that any law that can be abused, will be.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 08:19:48 pm »
DeSantis hopes red flag laws will help thwart future shootings
Fox 13/Tampa Bay, Aug 18, 2019

TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - Governor Ron DeSantis says the "recesses of the internet" are a factor in our country's uptick in mass shootings.

"I think when you have people that have pathological ideologies," DeSantis said. "If you didn't have places to congregate, they would not have strength in numbers."

Most recently, investigators discovered the gunman in Dayton, Ohio made violent threats on Twitter. So did the man who killed six people in the 2011 shooting that severely injured then-Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords.

In Florida, the teen behind the Parkland school shooting made disturbing posts on social media, which included gruesome Instagram photos of animals he claimed to have killed.

"Being able to go and trade these ideas in an online community, I think that radicalizes people," DeSantis said.

But the solution, DeSantis says, isn't to have the government policing speech.

"Typically, the government isn't policing or holding people accountable just for speech," he said. "It requires incitement, or to be a threat."

If there is a threat, there are options. Florida's so-called red flag laws allow law enforcement to take away a person's guns temporarily if they determine a person is an immediate threat.

Many, including the governor, are behind it.

"I just want us to be responsive to that. The vast majorities of these instances have had red flags," he said. "The Marjory Stoneman Douglas report made that clear. So I think we need to identify that and do something about it."

Last week, Florida launched a threat assessment portal for schools and law enforcement to share information, which will be confidential. A statewide app called Fortify Florida allows anyone to report suspicious activity anonymously.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/desantis-hopes-red-flag-laws-will-help-thwart-future-shootings

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 08:22:54 pm »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 08:57:12 pm »

So, what? You are pointing out that both Trump and DeSantis held the same views on Red Flag laws in 2019? Yeah that's a devastating attack you got on DeSantis there **nononono*

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 03:34:58 am »
So, what? You are pointing out that both Trump and DeSantis held the same views on Red Flag laws in 2019? Yeah that's a devastating attack you got on DeSantis there

DeSantis has kept the law passed in 2018 in place, and has since expanded it to include a statewide app called Fortify Florida allowing anyone to report suspicious activity anonymously.  DeSantis is pleased because the laws "work".  From 2018 to Mar 2022, there have been 6,000 firearms and ammunition confiscations in the free state of Florida.

If you want to take these policies national under the direction of Congress --- I won't fight you. After all, what could go wrong?   :shrug:

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 05:48:31 am »
DeSantis has kept the law passed in 2018 in place, and has since expanded it to include a statewide app called Fortify Florida allowing anyone to report suspicious activity anonymously.  DeSantis is pleased because the laws "work".  From 2018 to Mar 2022, there have been 6,000 firearms and ammunition confiscations in the free state of Florida.

If you want to take these policies national under the direction of Congress --- I won't fight you. After all, what could go wrong?   :shrug:
When did Governors get the power to make laws and end laws? I thought that was the job of legislators or sometimes the courts to end laws. Maybe you should move to Florida and do something about it instead of whining. LMAO over all the shiite you find to fault DeSantis over while turning a blind eye and deaf ear to Trumps faults.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 06:08:48 am »

@Right_in_Virginia

Fair enough... what I don't like about the red flag laws is it makes it hard for a poor person to defend himself (no lawyers are provided if you want to contest it).... Seems about 2/3rds of folks support it (if polls are to be believed), I don't because I figure there is already laws against threatening gun violence (laws already on the books), plus how it can be used as a tool for a corrupt government. But the subject is one I will place DeSantis on equal footing with Trump (not counting the other things Trump has done/said).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 08:07:35 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

Fair enough... what I don't like about the red flag laws is it makes it hard for a poor person to defend himself (no lawyers are provided if you want to contest it).... Seems about 2/3rds of folks support it (if polls are to be believed), I don't because I figure there is already laws against threatening gun violence (laws already on the books), plus how it can be used as a tool for a corrupt government. But the subject is one I will place DeSantis on equal footing with Trump (not counting the other things Trump has done/said).
Expanding on that, unscrupulous local level enforcement could target valuable gun collections and collectors over an offhand remark, and literally steal their stuff. By the time (as in when and if) the person is able to get their firearms back, it is likely the most choice and valuable ones will have gone missing.

In my lifetime I have had four firearms go missing. I know who got two of them, and he has been told through a third party to never be within line of sight of my house--and I haven't seen him since. Good riddance to bad trash. I liked them, but they were not particularly dear to me.

One was in the custody of the FBI (they ran a check on it with the dealer, I was informed, and by God, it was missing, so I reported it. It had been in a fairly secure, out of the way but unlocked location, so the thief had had time to scout it out with no one else home). I have a couple of suspects, but can't prove it. The other was recovered and returned by local police. The FBI never contacted me. It was NIB.

One was reported and recovered within 18 hours, but it took over a month to get it back from police, which I did. I still have that one.

I have read horror stories of valuable high end rifles (Weatherbys, etc) being piled together like firewood, and if returned, they were damaged far beyond any wear and tear the owner would have inflicted in their lifetime, so I have little faith that any arms confiscated under some red flag law will be treated any better unless one of those grabbing them has their eye on that particular gun.

Considering there are those in these parts (and elsewhere) with extensive collections of historical arms or former military rifles, arsenal correct, or both, I shudder to think of the abuse possible, and that doesn't include modern sporting rifles with high end optics (which can cost more than the firearm and are likely to be damaged or go missing as well).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 05:37:17 pm »
When did Governors get the power to make laws and end laws?

Good defense of a POTUS on government spending @GtHawk 

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 05:41:17 pm »
When did Governors get the power to make laws and end laws? I thought that was the job of legislators or sometimes the courts to end laws. Maybe you should move to Florida and do something about it instead of whining. LMAO over all the shiite you find to fault DeSantis over while turning a blind eye and deaf ear to Trumps faults.

The legislators during Rick Scott's administration drafted the bills and Scott signed the red flag laws.  It was not the doing of Ron DeSantis.  Yes, DeSantis has kept the laws in place.

No, I am not a fan.  Not in the least.

Rick Scott is the one that sold us down the river though.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 06:10:16 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Yup

Red flag laws are sold with but the best of intentions. But the natural inclination is for government to grow and grow and grow.  And under red flag laws, you’re guilty until you can prove yourself innocent

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:21:29 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2023, 09:55:40 pm »
Good defense of a POTUS on government spending @GtHawk
Standard Trump deflection BS, don't answer the question about the crap you post just go straight to TRMPYETYTRUMPETYTRUMPETY. Now lets talk about the two years TRUMP had everything and didn't deliver on that concrete border barrier promise, or that promise about cutting the deficit or that promise... you just can't blame Pelosi for those two years, that's on the guy that makes those great deals and the republicans who held both houses. But you say the only reason DeSantis gets things done is because he has a republican majority, well so did Trump so why couldn't he deliver?

Oh, and name one budget that Trump made a stand on and vetoed instead of signing. I'll wait while you deflect and avoid.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 09:57:37 pm by GtHawk »