Author Topic: F-22 Pilots Are Now Testing the Air Force's Helmet of the Future  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

F-22 Pilots Are Now Testing the Air Force's Helmet of the Future
Story by Sascha Brodsky • Yesterday 10:00 AM

Fighter pilots are testing a new, cooler, lightweight helmet that could allow for better visibility when engaging enemy jets. The helmet also fits female pilots more readily.

The new design is called the Next Generation Fixed Wing Helmet. Five F-22A Raptor pilots from the 301st Fighter Squadron at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida are already flying with the upgraded piece of equipment.

“The design of the helmet allows for unparalleled visibility, mobility, and comfort in the cockpit,” Maj. Brett Gedman, from the 301st Fighter Squadron, said in a news release. “The increased visibility combined with the mobility it provides made it a massive improvement over what I am used to flying with.”

Super Helmets
The new helmet is meant to replace the 1980s-era HGU-55/P. The upgraded design is made of carbon fiber to make it cooler, and to accommodate helmet-mounted cueing systems and night vision goggles. The helmet includes a jawbone-activated light for pilots to view needed information at night when landing, or during other maneuvers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/f-22-pilots-are-now-testing-the-air-force-s-helmet-of-the-future/ar-AA19PigR?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=d7048e02d09549f2ad20dd5bb0816b26&ei=77
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: F-22 Pilots Are Now Testing the Air Force's Helmet of the Future
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 11:12:04 am »
The biggest advantage is they can put the plane on auto-pilot and have CRT projected on the visor! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson