Author Topic: Mexico kills climate change fund, casting doubt on future environmental spending  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mexico kills climate change fund, casting doubt on future environmental spending
Story by Mongabay • Yesterday 6:15 PM

By Maxwell Radwin

MEXICO CITY — A court in Mexico has eliminated a major financial resource for fighting climate change, raising doubts about how much the country will be willing to invest in future environmental initiatives.

The Supreme Court ruled against an injunction that was filed to revive the country’s Climate Change Fund, which was designed to channel public and private funding into projects that fight climate change.

“This decision further distances Mexico from fulfilling its national and international commitments to combatting the climate crisis and constitutes a step backwards in terms of the state’s obligation to guarantee our human right to a healthy environment,” the Mexican Center for Environmental Law (CEMDA), which filed the injunction last year, said in a statement.

The Climate Change Fund was created in 2012 to support local and national conservation efforts that help reduce greenhouse gas emissions pushing global temperatures beyond 1.5° Celsius (2.7° Fahrenheit). That included reducing deforestation rates, restoring degraded landscapes, developing sustainable agricultural practices and investing in renewable energy, among other things.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexico-kills-climate-change-fund-casting-doubt-on-future-environmental-spending/ar-AA19Q35S?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=d7048e02d09549f2ad20dd5bb0816b26&ei=72
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson