Author Topic: Kansas cops ‘chased’ elderly man for driving 3 mph over limit then tased him, lawsuit says  (Read 899 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Luke Nozicka - The Kansas City Star April 13, 2023

An 80-year-old man filed a lawsuit this week against an eastern Kansas sheriff’s office for allegedly tasing him without warning after officers pursued him for driving 3 mph over the speed limit.

Multiple police vehicles followed Sigg for a few minutes as he drove to his family’s car lot, although he did not realize he was “the subject of the pursuit,” his attorney wrote. He parked, got out and was surrounded by officers from several agencies.

Two Chanute police officers pulled their guns on Sigg, according to the lawsuit. Looking “quizzically” at them, he raised his hands, which can be seen in a screenshot of body-camera footage of the incident.

Without warning, the deputy used a Taser on Sigg — even though the manufacturer of the TASER X2 warns about using it “on the elderly,” his lawyer wrote. Sigg dropped “like a rock,” his attorney said, and cut his head.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/04/kansas-cops-chased-elderly-man-for-driving-3-mph-over-limit-then-tased-him-lawsuit-says/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I have been following this story.  You would have thought the were following OJ's White Bronco.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Three MPH? That's within bounds of error...2MPH one way, 2 the other...

I know my vehicle, and with the tires on it now, 85 mph indicated is actually 80...(yes, that's legal in some places here, though most are 65-70)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

Seriously?  In Kansas the speed laws are written so that one doesn't even get a moving violation for being less than 6 mph over the limit if the speed limit is 45 mph or less, or less than 10 mph over the limit for higher speed limits.  On I-70 everyone drives 83 when the posted limit is 75 and the cops just ignore it.  If you're doing something else wrong, they'll cite you for the speeding, but it doesn't go on your record if it's as I described. 

I think the cops had a particular animus against this particular old man, because 3 mph over the limit isn't going to turn a Kansas cop's head.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
 9999hair out0000 Stories like this make my blood boil! 

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Probable be nailed to a cross for this, but if you can't tell if police are trying to get you to pull over, perhaps you shouldn't be driving. It is running from police and I can't be hypocritical in how that is applied. No comment on the taser thing, I didn't see a link to the video they said was taken by police.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline verga

Probable be nailed to a cross for this, but if you can't tell if police are trying to get you to pull over, perhaps you shouldn't be driving. It is running from police and I can't be hypocritical in how that is applied. No comment on the taser thing, I didn't see a link to the video they said was taken by police.
:amen: My mother had to get into a minor fender bender to get her to give up the license.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

When I first got my license, a cop waved me over. I thought he was being friendly. He waved at me, so I waved back and kept on going.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
When I first got my license, a cop waved me over. I thought he was being friendly. He waved at me, so I waved back and kept on going.

I tipped my can of Coors to a Trooper one time when he was directing traffic around an accident.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I blasted thru a red light on Telephone Rd. guzzling on a bottle of mezcal, wanting to get the worm before my BIL did. I looked over and there were 2 troopers stopped at the light. We were lucky that there were two of them and didn't see us, or ignored us.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I tipped my can of Coors to a Trooper one time when he was directing traffic around an accident.

I've done that too, but it was like 1975, and not illegal to just drink and drive.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

I blasted thru a red light on Telephone Rd. guzzling on a bottle of mezcal, wanting to get the worm before my BIL did. I looked over and there were 2 troopers stopped at the light. We were lucky that there were two of them and didn't see us, or ignored us.

Okay, you win!   lol

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The guy is freaking 80!!

3 miles over the limit?  The original officer who initiated contact on this matter should be fired...as well as the stupid idiot who used the taser.

WTF is on the Sheriff's written test and WTF happens in face-to-face interviews??

My tinnitus is to the point I cannot hear my cell phone ring just 20 feet away.  Radio turned up loud and windows closed, the guy didn't hear a thing!    happy77
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 03:30:23 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald