Author Topic: First-ever ‘smart gun’ with fingerprint unlocking system hits the market  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Kamaji

First-ever ‘smart gun’ with fingerprint unlocking system hits the market

By Rich Calder and Natalie O'Neill
April 13, 2023

The world’s first “smart gun” hit the market Thursday, complete with a life-saving fingerprint unlocking system that prevents “unauthorized” people such as kids and criminals from firing it.

The cutting-edge 9mm handgun locks out everybody except the owner and users specifically approved by the owner — technology that could improve gun safety in America, according to reps from the gun-making firm Biofire.

“Right now it seems like the entire country is always processing a new tragedy involving children and guns,” the Colorado-based firm’s CEO Kai Kloepfer told The Post. “We are offering a real solution, at a time when solutions seem very hard to come by.”

The $1,499 gun unlocks in less than a second, using either a fingerprint or facial recognition sensor, then quickly locks again when it’s no longer in use.

As gun control legislation remains largely stalled in the US, the innovation could help prevent everything from school shootings to accidents and suicides, reps from the company said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/first-ever-smart-gun-with-fingerprint-unlocking-system-hits-the-market/

Online DefiantMassRINO

I predict more fingers will be cut off and stored in freezers - or - fingerprints will be duplicated using digital technology.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online andy58-in-nh

Because when you're in a life-or-death threat situation, you really want to depend on proper placement of your trigger finger and not having any grease or sweat preventing the sensor from correctly identifying you.

Stupid and dangerous.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

Because when you're in a life-or-death threat situation, you really want to depend on proper placement of your trigger finger and not having any grease or sweat preventing the sensor from correctly identifying you.

Stupid and dangerous.

Or, worse yet, not have the facial recognition system recognize your face because it's dark, you have serious bed-head, or you're hiding from an assailant and don't have a good camera angle.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I predict more fingers will be cut off and stored in freezers - or - fingerprints will be duplicated using digital technology.
Did you ever see the movie 'Shoot Em Up' 2007 ? It was a fun over the top romp and it made fun of finger print guns in that exact way with the hero/anti hero? cutting off aa bad guys thumb so that he could use the guys finger print protected gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlx4n_ibNZE

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You get wounded. Blood on your hands. Now your gun doesn't work.
Better have a back up normal gun or you are done.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You get wounded. Blood on your hands. Now your gun doesn't work.
Better have a back up normal gun or you are done.
My thoughts, too. Does it perform in extreme cold? (-30F or colder?). Mud, blood, grease, oil, dirt?
If i drop it in a puddle can I pull it out shake the water out and shoot?
If the answer is no, fuhgettaboutit. Not interested. I want 99.999% reliability.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

My thoughts, too. Does it perform in extreme cold? (-30F or colder?). Mud, blood, grease, oil, dirt?
If i drop it in a puddle can I pull it out shake the water out and shoot?
If the answer is no, fuhgettaboutit. Not interested. I want 99.999% reliability.

Heck, if it worked twice as good as the one on my phone to would only work half the time...

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I get the feeling more than a few people will figure out how to bypass the sensor (always open, always closed)... just like I bypassed the stupid anti-reverse/butt sensor on my lawnmowers.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Besides all of the other issues noted above...the price point is too high for the average person needing a pistol for self/home defense.

I can get 3 new in the box 1911's in .45 ACP for roughly the same price.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Besides all of the other issues noted above...the price point is too high for the average person needing a pistol for self/home defense.

I can get 3 new in the box 1911's in .45 ACP for roughly the same price.

If they won't sell in the open market get them mandated! BEWARE!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
If they won't sell in the open market get them mandated! BEWARE!

That would not shock me at all.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
First-ever ‘smart gun’ with fingerprint unlocking system hits the market

By Rich Calder and Natalie O'Neill
April 13, 2023

The world’s first “smart gun” hit the market Thursday, complete with a life-saving fingerprint unlocking system that prevents “unauthorized” people such as kids and criminals from firing it.

The cutting-edge 9mm handgun locks out everybody except the owner and users specifically approved by the owner — technology that could improve gun safety in America, according to reps from the gun-making firm Biofire.

“Right now it seems like the entire country is always processing a new tragedy involving children and guns,” the Colorado-based firm’s CEO Kai Kloepfer told The Post. “We are offering a real solution, at a time when solutions seem very hard to come by.”

The $1,499 gun unlocks in less than a second, using either a fingerprint or facial recognition sensor, then quickly locks again when it’s no longer in use.

As gun control legislation remains largely stalled in the US, the innovation could help prevent everything from school shootings to accidents and suicides, reps from the company said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/first-ever-smart-gun-with-fingerprint-unlocking-system-hits-the-market/

click....User SIde Error  Try Again Later is not e messsage id want to read at an inoportune moment

Offline roamer_1

I don't know how such a simple mechanism can be made to depend on such a lock. Easily thwarted, I am sure.

Offline verga

I hope it fails miserably
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I can probably name two dozen things that have become problematic in use and reliablity due to so called improved technological improvements. 

A working weapon when confronted by a threat is something you have to have and need to have work 100.0000000% of the time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline PeteS in CA

Stupid and dangerous.

Not to mention depending on there being no software glitches, no ESD, and no dead battery. Were I looking for a 9 mm gun for self-defense and had $1500 to burn, I'd buy 3 Glock or 4 or 5 Taurus semi-autos.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline verga

Not to mention depending on there being no software glitches, no ESD, and no dead battery. Were I looking for a 9 mm gun for self-defense and had $1500 to burn, I'd buy 3 Glock or 4 or 5 Taurus semi-autos.
Ruger Security 9 in full size of compact, just as reliable Glock and better than Taurus.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

That new Taurus (G2 and G3) seem like nice budget guns that go bang when you pull the trigger (son carries one)... The Glocks are reliable and so is my FN 509 9mm. I wouldn't be ashamed to carry any of them, I wouldn't trust this gimmick gun atall (at all). I can't vouch for the Ruger that @verga mentions, but have no doubt it is a solid option too (I have several Rugers I like and one EDC mouse gun that resides in my pocket right now).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:42:15 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Let me know when they have a number of PD's  issuing them I doubt they could force any officer to carry this crap, my understanding is they won't allow anyone outside of the company to evaluate them...this after a glitch filled media event. If I am going to depend on a gun to keep me alive I'll go with my Browning Hi-Power, also a gun not mentioned are the CZ's, affordable and very dependable.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:05:26 pm by GtHawk »