Author Topic: New Yorkers flee over taxes, housing prices: ‘The city literally spit us out’  (Read 586 times)

Offline Kamaji

New Yorkers flee over taxes, housing prices: ‘The city literally spit us out’

By Jeanette Settembre
April 12, 2023

They’re moving out.

A shocking 27% of New Yorkers are planning to leave the Empire State in the next five years, with 30% saying they wish they lived somewhere else, according to a poll from Siena College Research Institute released Wednesday.

Affordability, ease of retirement, politics and crime and safety were among New Yorkers’ biggest gripes, according to the poll. Among the most dissatisfied: Republicans, independents, black people and those earning under $50 thousand a year.

Here, New Yorkers share their reasons for fleeing New York.

Priced out of housing market
When Bonnie Grubbs, a teacher, and her husband, Alex, a musician and arborist, outgrew their 660-square-foot converted two-bedroom co-op in Clinton Hill in 2021, they found themselves priced out of bigger homes in their $700 thousand price range.

Cash-strapped from taxes
Alexis Wilson and her fiancé Matt Andrews, both nurses, recently moved from New York to southwest Florida with the hopes of starting a family.

They needed to stretch their paychecks and wanted to move to a state without income taxes.

“When we moved we saw a drastic increase in our paychecks,” Wilson, 27, told The Post.

Source: 

Offline ScottinVA

Problem is, so many bring the leftist mindset and voting habits with them.

Offline LMAO

In some cases that may be so

But it seems like recently certain states are becoming redder with these people fleeing their blue state gulags

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Did the city spit them out?

Or did the voters there shoot themselves in the feet?

Hopefully, the refugees have learned something or two, but people tend to revert to type after all that penance and things start going well again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@ScottinVA

Exactly! The "it's so wonderful here!" phrase only lasts a couple of months,and then they miss all the rules they had "back home".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
In some cases that may be so

But it seems like recently certain states are becoming redder with these people fleeing their blue state gulags

There is a law that says you can't cross the Mason Dixon line with your liberal baggage.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.