Author Topic: Defining Away Illegal Immigration  (Read 122 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Defining Away Illegal Immigration
« on: April 13, 2023, 11:00:41 am »
Defining Away Illegal Immigration

By Mark Krikorian on April 13, 2023

The Biden administration has announced an agreement with Panama and Colombia to reduce illegal migration through the dangerous Darien Gap. It’s a jungle chokepoint that illegal migrants headed for the U.S. from South America and beyond have to traverse, often at the cost of their lives. (See the video of a panel discussion the Center hosted on the subject featuring a local Indian leader, war correspondent Michael Yon, and Representative Tom Tiffany [R., Wis.] who personally visited the area.)

You’ll not be surprised that traffic through the Darien has ballooned in response to Biden’s catch-and-release policies at the border. You also won’t be surprised that the Biden administration response is not to change the policies that serve as a magnet to illegal immigration, but to try to define away the problem by making the migration “legal.”

The second of the “ambitious goals” of the new agreement is: “Open new lawful and flexible pathways for tens of thousands of migrants and refugees as an alternative to irregular migration.” In other words, come up with “legal” ways to admit the prospective illegal border-jumpers.

But if genuinely legal means were available, they’d already be using them. Instead, this signals an expansion of what Andy McCarthy aptly calls “Biden’s Immigration ‘Parole’ Scam.”

https://cis.org/Krikorian/Defining-Away-Illegal-Immigration
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson