Author Topic: Why the Army wears white overcoats for snow operations  (Read 499 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why the Army wears white overcoats for snow operations
« on: April 12, 2023, 01:30:09 pm »
By Sarah Sicard
 Apr 11, 04:20 PM

During Exercise Arctic Forge 2023 alongside allies Norway and Finland, soldiers with the U.S. Army wore what appeared to be, at least when compared to their counterparts, white garbage bags over their uniforms designed to blend in with the wintry environment.

While the style choice, at least on the surface, appeared inferior to that of the Norwegians and Fins, it remains quite practical, an official from the Program Executive Office Soldier noted.

By Sarah Sicard

“Soldiers operating in cold weather environments are currently issued cold weather gear in Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP),” Alton Stewart, a PEO Soldier public affairs officer, told Military Times. “The Army issues an Overwhite Parka, Trouser and Pack Cover in Snow Camouflage Pattern for use as the operation or environment dictates. Overwhites provide maximum flexibility for concealment while also facilitating agility in the industrial base.”

These bag-looking “overwhites” provide camouflage options in a number of winter terrains, not just in snow, Stewart added.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2023/04/11/why-the-army-wears-white-overcoats-for-snow-operations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online roamer_1

Re: Why the Army wears white overcoats for snow operations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 03:58:20 pm »
Maybe they've changed. But OverWhites are not 'plastic' as I recall em.

You don't want plastic in deep cold... or any cold.

I remember them being cloth... gprtex maybe.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 11:48:21 pm »
Maybe they've changed. But OverWhites are not 'plastic' as I recall em.

You don't want plastic in deep cold... or any cold.

I remember them being cloth... gprtex maybe.
I have some snow camo overwear the kids bought me one year. Definitely not plastic.

I have seen garbage bags shatter in winter. No way I'd want being 'invisible' to depend on something that might flutter away in shreds.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 11:52:38 pm »
I have some snow camo overwear the kids bought me one year. Definitely not plastic.

I have seen garbage bags shatter in winter. No way I'd want being 'invisible' to depend on something that might flutter away in shreds.

Not to mention crackly. Can't be quiet with that going on. Like I said, I remember em being cloth... soft. floppy.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 12:01:07 am »

What dumb @$$ felt the need to explain this?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 06:38:00 am »
Not to mention crackly. Can't be quiet with that going on. Like I said, I remember em being cloth... soft. floppy.
Yep, mine are. Even Goretex would make noise in snow, especially if there's any wind up or crust on it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 09:21:47 am »
Hmmm...I wasn't aware that military uniforms were supposed to be fashion conscious out in the field.  The fact is that the U.S. military has used cheap and disposable outer wear for winter ops since at least World War II.  So this article is ridiculous...if the Nordic countries want to rag on that kind of nonsense, then they are not serious about warfighting.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus