General Category > Elections 2024

Trump discourages DeSantis, says candidacy would ‘only hurt’ Republican Party

<< < (2/7) > >>

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on April 10, 2023, 08:15:38 pm ---Yeah, Trump's whole point about a DeSantis candidacy dividing the Republican party is pretty ironic. There is no reason that different Republicans can't run against each other in the primary without tearing each other down, and while all agreeing to support the winner. That's how primaries were conducted for decades.

The only reason there is a risk of dividing the party is Trump's refusal to do that.  He's basically a hostage taker. Either give him what he wants, or he'll kill the hostage.

If Trump is so confident he can beat DeSantis, there is no reason for him to go scorched earth and divide the party.  Make a public gentleman's agreement to support whoever wins the primary, and go into the general election with a unified Republican party.

If Trump is so certain that he's going to win the primary, why wouldn't he be willing to do that?

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

libertybele:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on April 10, 2023, 08:15:38 pm ---Yeah, Trump's whole point about a DeSantis candidacy dividing the Republican party is pretty ironic. There is no reason that different Republicans can't run against each other in the primary without tearing each other down, and while all agreeing to support the winner. That's how primaries were conducted for decades.

The only reason there is a risk of dividing the party is Trump's refusal to do that.  He's basically a hostage taker. Either give him what he wants, or he'll kill the hostage.

If Trump is so confident he can beat DeSantis, there is no reason for him to go scorched earth and divide the party.  Make a public gentleman's agreement to support whoever wins the primary, and go into the general election with a unified Republican party.

If Trump is so certain that he's going to win the primary, why wouldn't he be willing to do that?

--- End quote ---

***agree   Good post.

kevindavis007:
If Trump was President then I can see the case of no one running against him in the primary, however, he is not President so therefore he has to earn the nomination.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: kevindavis007 on April 10, 2023, 09:06:13 pm ---If Trump was President then I can see the case of no one running against him in the primary, however, he is not President so therefore he has to earn the nomination.

--- End quote ---

I just find it interesting that DeSantis is such a threat to Trump.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: libertybele on April 10, 2023, 09:09:24 pm ---I just find it interesting that DeSantis is such a threat to Trump.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version