Author Topic: Trump discourages DeSantis, says candidacy would ‘only hurt’ Republican Party  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump wrote a few fat checks for Hillary and many other Dems... My bet is DeSantis wrote none to Hillary. But that escapes you...

Sure, as a private citizen and business man in the pit of the swamp.  Just what do you think Trump is referring to when he says "I know exactly how this game is played --- and who's playing it"?

Swamp politicians sell influence ---- they don't write checks, they take them.   DeSantis has joined this club.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
DeSantis was considered one of the heir apparents of the MAGA movement. But the longer he stays at this, the faster and further he falls away.

Trump didn't say "he's a RINO globalist if he runs a against me", nor did his supporters.  Trump's accusations - and your repetition of them - wasn't conditional on DeSantis running.  It was stated as already proven fact.  You've flatly stated you wouldn't want him as VP in 2924, and wouldn't vote for him in 2028.

So there isn't any "the longer he stays at this" element to this.   You, Trump, and the rest of the MAGA crowd already have marked DeSantis as no better than Jeb, Romney and the rest.

If DeSantis backs out now, he won't have the national stage to refute what Trump has said about him.  He needs to run so he can defend himself and attack Trump hard from the conservative side.  Go after Trump's empowering of Fauci, his nomination of Gen. Milley, who is the worst Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in history, his exploding of the federal deficit, etc. etc..  and hopefully bait Trump into to saying something incredibly stupid and offensive to voters.

Backing out now would be backing down from a bully, and that's not good for someone who wants to be President someday.  Better to sweep Trump's leg, and do whatever is necessary to beat him.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Oh yes, the Republican Party must anoint King Trump once again!  Long live the King!

:pootrump:
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Kamaji

Think it through, Ron.  Half of those money bags writing you checks voted for Hillary in 2016 and Biden in 2020.

If you are successful in wounding Trump, they won't give a damn where you end up ---- but we will.

Think this through, Governor.  Carefully. 

Good luck.

:mauslaff:

Someone award this post a PhD.

Offline LMAO

Oh yes, the Republican Party must anoint King Trump once again!  Long live the King!

:pootrump:

Aren’t you feeling a bit resentful being told by a guy who has a history of supporting and writing checks to Democrats while people like DeSantis was in Congress voting to reign in spending who can run in the GOP primary?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Sure, as a private citizen and business man in the pit of the swamp.  Just what do you think Trump is referring to when he says "I know exactly how this game is played --- and who's playing it"?

Swamp politicians sell influence ---- they don't write checks, they take them.   DeSantis has joined this club.

First, every candidate takes money from people and organizations who support him/her.  Reagan did it as did others.   Who "owned" Reagan?  If we were to take this argument seriously, it would mean that the only people who should run for office are multi-billionaires who can finance their own campaign out of their own pockets.  That's about as oligarchic and anti-republican as it gets.

Second, Trump himself takes (and took) all kinds of money, including from some of the very some organizations he now pillories.  For years, he was more than happy to take money from the Club for Growth and they are exactly who they always have been.   But he didn't turn on them until after they decided to support someone else, at which point he instantly changed his tune and called them globalists.

Defining every person and organization by whether or not they support him personally is quintessential Trump.  Say nice things about Trump, and even scumbags like Putin and Kim become admirable.  Choose to support someone else, and you magically morph into a tool of Sauron.

I really, really hope some Republican tears into that putz in the primary debates and calls him out on his hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:36:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump just needs to worry about his court case right now, not what he thinks is the proper course for the Republican party.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

How beneficent of Trump to be concerned about the well-being of the Republican Party before his own self-interest.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

////00000////

How beneficent of Trump to be concerned about the well-being of the Republican Party before his own self-interest.

Exactly.  Trump truly doesn't give two craps about the GOP, nor does a sizeable segment of his supporters.  They're certainly entitled to feel that way, and I give his supporters credit because they usually are upfront about that.

It's just Trump who is really two-faced.   He'd gladly tear the GOP to shreds if that's what it took to get the nomination.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:34:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 11:07:59 pm by Right_in_Virginia »