Author Topic: MUSLIM girl students at Stuyvesant High School in NYC are refusing to participate in mandatory swim  (Read 450 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MUSLIM girl students at Stuyvesant High School in NYC are refusing to participate in mandatory swim classes if boys are present
APRIL 9, 2023 BY BARENAKEDISLAM1 COMMENT

Stuyvesant High School has eliminated ‘girls-only’ swimming classes, forcing female Muslim students to sacrifice the so-called ‘modesty’ their religion demands if they want to earn a prestigious diploma. Stuyvesant, which boasts an Olympic-sized pool at its Lower Manhattan campus, mandates a one-semester swim class by the end of sophomore year as a graduation requirement.

NY Post (h/t Thereza B)  But since swimming classes, halted during the pandemic, resumed last fall, the 3,300-student school has dropped the single-gender option, saying the popularity of the girls’ classes created a programming logjam.

Now, some Muslim students are refusing to attend a swim class with boys rather than betray their faith. “I know girls who are just failing it right now,” one Muslim sophomore told The Post.
Senior Tasnim Chowdhury took the all-girls class as a sophomore and wants it reinstated. “I’m not comfortable swimming with boys because I’m Muslim and it’s really hard for us,” she said. “I can’t believe the school would change it because it’s been a fundamental part of Stuy, and now it’s changed all of a sudden.”

https://barenakedislam.com/2023/04/09/muslim-girl-students-at-stuyvesant-high-school-in-nyc-are-refusing-to-participate-in-mandatory-swim-classes-if-boys-are-present/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

They should be able to take a private swimming lesson from a credentialed instructor and have that count towards their requirement.

They should not be forced to have to swim with boys.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"They should not be forced to have to swim with boys"

WRONG ANSWER.

They should be failed.

If they don't want to do what everyone else is expected to do, let them go to some other school.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
The school did make special consideration for their attire.  "In response to Muslim girls who objected, Moran said they can wear a full-body swimsuit — the so-called “burkini” — which covers everything but the face, hands and feet."

Offline Kamaji

"They should not be forced to have to swim with boys"

WRONG ANSWER.

They should be failed.

If they don't want to do what everyone else is expected to do, let them go to some other school.

Wrong answer. There is nothing wrong with making this accommodation, particularly in light of a strong religious belief, and particularly when it doesn’t require anyone else to participate in a religious activity.

Or should we revert to nude mixed-gender athletics?