Author Topic: General Mark Milley Is Retiring. Meet The Contenders To Replace Him As Biden’s Top Adviser On Milita  (Read 1188 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They look like my three year old granddaughter got a hold of them with her sticker book.

@bigheadfred

I gotta admit,I had never seen anyone with so many "medals" awarded to him that he had to pin them to a pants leg.

Just imagine how many he would have if he had ever been in a war!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All you have to do is look at the two pics in post 1 to understand who's gonna get the job...

@Fishrrman

Yup!

And it is a damn shame because no one in the USAF should EVER be the Chief of Staff. They know  NOTHING about ground combat,including the tactics,the supply  problems,what is required to manuever a large infantry or armor unit,etc,etc,etc.

THAT position should ONLY go to an Infantry Branch  officer who PERSONALLY  experienced ground combat as a platoon leader and company commander because THAT is where "the rubber meets the road".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This is the first I heard  of that.  If so,I missed it. NOT doubting your word on this.

I was following it at the time, and it was controversial even then.  Milley already had been slated to become Supreme Allied Commander Europe, and Trump overrode that based solely on his interview with Milley.  In fact, he was so taken with Milley following his interview with him that he announced Milley as his choice in December 2019 -- more than nine months before the then-current Chairman was slated to retire.  That had never happened before.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2019/07/25/milley-confirmation/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/08/trump-says-gen-mark-milley-chair-joint-chiefs-staff/2249369002/

Milley was at times considered a long shot for Joint Chiefs chairman, who serves as the top military adviser to the president. Others in contention included Adm. John Richardson and Air Force Gen. David Goldfein. Sources say some of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis' aides this week were still betting on Goldfein.

Milley is a chatty, quick-witted, barrel-chested officer who seemed to click with Trump. At times they could be seen laughing together, or sharing a joke.

During a Medal of Honor presentation in June, Trump pointed to Milley, seated in the front row.

"A very good negotiator, Gen. Mark Milley," Trump said. "I could see in his eyes when I talk about the cost of those bombs. He's good at throwing them, but he's also good at pricing them. Right? I see it."

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/08/674935309/meet-mark-milley-trumps-pick-for-joint-chiefs-chairman

Bottom line is that Milley wowed (or bullshitted...) Trump in that interview, and that led Trump to ignore his senior military advisors and go with Milley.

NO airdale should EVER be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Their ONLY personal experience in combat is air combat,which is a VERY different thing that infantry combat.

First, the Chairman doesn't have any command over operational forces -- neither do any of the Chiefs of Staff, for that matter.  They are administrators and advisors.  We've had four Chairman who have been Air Force, and they have seemed fine.

Second, General Goldfein got the Distinguished Flying Cross (twice) with a Combat "V" in the Gulf War.  Flew combat missions there, and also over Serbia, where he was shot down, evaded capture, and eventually was rescued.  Milley saw no active combat in his entire career.  So in terms of personal experience in ground combat, they're equal.  But at least Goldfein knows what it is like to be shot at on multiple occasions.

I am sure someone he trusted suggested to him that he do that. After all,if you are a CEO and faced with a situation you personally know nothing about,you ask your aides and advisors.

@sneakypete

But...you're just kind of making that up, aren't you?   There is absolutely zero evidence of that - there isn't any claim that even his son-in-law Jared advised him to appoint Milley.  The evidence is all to the contrary. Who specifically, as a "trusted advisor" on military matters, do you think even fits that description???  Trump's two most senior military advisors were the Secretary of Defense, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, both of whom were opposed to Milley.  There wasn't any other senior military advisor who would have known more than Trump did.  Those two are it.  And I'd point out that despite Trump now being very critical of Milley, he has never once claimed that someone else recommended Milley to him, or gave him bad advice.  Because it was reported right from the start that Trump just liked Milley from his interview.  Look at what Trump said above -- He could tell from their interview that Milley was a "good negotiator", that he could "just see it".  That's a guy talking about his own judgment, not someone else.

If Trump truly "knew nothing" about what he wanted from the military after two years as Commander in Chief, that's pathetic.   Presidents have weekly meetings with the Chairman at the minimum, but usually with all of them.  They prepare briefings, he sits through them, hears them debate policy and recommendations, etc..  He's supposed to puck that crap up as part of his job -- and perhaps the single most important job of a President is Commander in Chief.  The Chairman is not a command job, and it's not about the intricacies of tactical operations so you don't need technical or professional knowledge.  It is big-picture policy, advice, etc..  He apparently just impressed Trump in the interview, as I posted in that article above.  And based on his own personal evaluation of Milley in that interview (he interviewed the Army, Navy, and Air Force Chiefs - couldn't be a Marine because that was the current Chairman), he ditched his advisors' recommendations and went with Milley.  There isn't a shred of evidence to the contrary.

You're coming up with what you wish the truth was rather than just looking at the facts.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 12:11:23 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

@libertybele

No,but the good news is that he/she/undecided can't possibly be worse.

With this administration? Nothing surprises me anymore
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I think all here agree Milley was a major POS.  But, can it be worse?  Sure!!!  And probably will be.

All of you have to understand the affect caused by Obama.  Obama purged the military of some 4,500 senior officers.  What was left behind were not what a conservative would consider outstanding or worthy.  Evidenced by the fact that Milley never saw combat, but made it to Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff.

And Trump has in fact proven one thing.  He is incapable of picking leaders to lead the government.  Again, back to Milley.  Who in their right mind would ever pick someone with ZERO COMBAT EXPERIENCE?  No one.  But Trump surely did.  Uggh!

He decided to surround himself with Obama generals.  If he were smart, he should have taken a look at the men Obama purged.  If idiot Biden can take the idiot running Pennsylvania  HHS equivalent and make him/her a 3 or 4 star Admiral, why didn't Trump bring in the purged generals for a look.

And Trump left 1,500 Obama appointees in key positions for well over one year in office, about the dumbest thing I have seen by a POTUS.  Really, who does this but an idiot???!!!

Trump's history tells you everything you need to know.  He has surrounded himself with his family in his business.  He did the same with the government.  He has no idea how to build a team of people that would jump in the fire for him.  ZERO IDEA!!!

History will write him as an EXTREMELY POOR POTUS.  EXTREMELY POOR!!!!  Why do I say that?  First they evaluate them on their fiscal policies.  Trump ran the deficit up to huge numbers, with no effort to cut spending.  Second, he was impeached not once but twice.  And finally, everything he did was undone by the Biden Idiocracy in a matter of days.  Literally!

Another point of evaluation...LEGISLATION PASSED WHILE POTUS.  I doubt Trump came anywhere near close to creating records on that frontier.

Oh, and one other last note.  He was defeated by a man for his second term that ran his campaign in his basement(literally did NOT campaign), was unable to utter a coherent sentence, and is a pathological liar.  Plus, he was lucky to have ten people at any rally he held, the rest were staffers or press.

Another last note.  When he lost, he put a legal team together that promised THE KRACKEN.  What the hell does that mean any ways?  Clearly nothing of consequence.  The leaders of the Duchy of Grand Fenwich were more capable  than anything Trump did.

Trump gets elected again, what do you really expect to happen?  Just more of the same of what happened in his first four years, only attempting to reverse an economy that is in the sh*tter!  Trump says he would end the war in Ukraine within 24 hours.  Pure poppycock!  More Trump idiotic rhetoric.

Trump failed miserably.  His own two key planks for running, that which had folks voting for him, were BUILD THE WALL, which would end the influx of illegals that were driving down wages in the blue collar arena for 20 years, and end DAY ONE, the H1-b Visa Program, which would end the abuse for white collar workers.  He did neither, and yet claims today that he fulfilled all his goals.  PURE POPPYCOCK!

Again, Biden undid everything Trump did in a matter of days.  Not months and years, but DAYS!!!

Trump will get 10 - 20 % less votes in the general than he did in 2020 because folks are just worn out listening to his schtick!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I hav little doubt that History (written by college professors from the coasts) will say Trump was everything short of Adolf Hitler, and worse, or that they just might exclude the fact that impeachments were made on trumped up nonsense and lies and passed by partisan votes.

As for his good deeds being overturned in a matter of days, it just goes to show what is seminally wrong with the GOP. There is so much infighting that, unlike the Democrats who move as a phalanx, the GOP did not get shit done for two years with the trifecta of House, Senate, and White House. A POTUS can only sign that which Congress produces, and the Congress did not deliver, despite majorities in both houses.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis