Author Topic: Concentrated solar power is an old technology making a comeback. Here's how it works  (Read 182 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Concentrated solar power is an old technology making a comeback. Here's how it works
ABC Science /
By technology reporter James Purtill
Posted Wed 5 Apr 2023 at 3:30pmWednesday 5 Apr 2023 at 3:30pm, updated Wed 5 Apr 2023 at 10:41pmWednesday 5 Apr 2023 at 10:41pm

There was a time, not long ago, when the future of electricity generation looked something like the opening scene of Blade Runner 2049, with endless arrays of mirrors in concentric circles.

WATCH
File size: 0.2 megabyte0.2MB

The opening scene of Blade Runner 2049, with not a solar panel in sight.(Gfycat)
Concentrated solar power (CSP) uses mirrors to focus heat from the Sun to drive a steam turbine and generate electricity.

While CSP was once the great hope for replacing coal and gas-fired generation, it's now generally considered to have been eclipsed by cheaper forms of renewable generation, like solar panels and wind turbines.

Recently, however, it's been making a quiet comeback.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-04-06/concentrated-solar-power-technology-comeback-electricity-mirrors/102184372
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson