Author Topic: The True Dangers of Long Trains  (Read 597 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The True Dangers of Long Trains
« on: April 07, 2023, 02:50:56 pm »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The True Dangers of Long Trains
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 03:03:12 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 03:11:41 pm »
This is something I have suspected. Trains aren't derailing from outside sabotage. They are derailing from piss poor practices of the train companies. They are sabotaging themselves.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 03:53:02 pm »
... companies are forgoing long-held safety precautions, such as assembling trains to distribute weight and risk ...

Safely distributing weight is a key safety and operational necessity for bulk transporters and inter-modal transporters.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 03:54:04 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 04:31:18 pm »
I have always been an obsessed practioner of risk managment.  Comes from my occupation I guess.

Example:  There is no reason not to stop 200-300 feet away from a passing train.  If someone is impatient, they can go around you. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 05:26:05 pm »
I have always been an obsessed practioner of risk managment.  Comes from my occupation I guess.

Example:  There is no reason not to stop 200-300 feet away from a passing train.  If someone is impatient, they can go around you.

Also, the crossing gates aren't guaranteed to work. We had one fail around here. Good reason to slow down at all train crossings.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 05:28:08 pm »
This is something I have suspected. Trains aren't derailing from outside sabotage. They are derailing from piss poor practices of the train companies. They are sabotaging themselves.
The presence of one does not deny the existence of the other. That said, any kid who had enough model train cars, or a pet or sibling who grabbed the last car in the train knows it's going to derail.
Common sense would dictate that the empties should be at the back of the train.

Considering terrain, and that different parts of a train will be in tension or compression as the train passes through transitions in grade, you would think someone would have figured out how to independently brake cars as needed, even if it was run by a computer. Granted, the more subsystems involved, the more possible points of failure, and the greater the cost...which appears to be why these trains are this long in the first place. Unlike unit trains, one cargo, one type of car, one train, trains with a mix of cars and cargoes will be far more complex in their internal interactions as they pass through terrain.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 05:29:40 pm »
Also, the crossing gates aren't guaranteed to work. We had one fail around here. Good reason to slow down at all train crossings.
Some places don't even have crossing gates. A former employer and best man at my wedding was killed at one such.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 08:04:07 pm »
Full disclosure, I didn't read the article.  But I have a good friend who works for BNSF. He told me a good 10 years ago that the reason trains were pulling more cars was because they can cut personnel costs and increase profits.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 03:35:38 pm »
Some places don't even have crossing gates. A former employer and best man at my wedding was killed at one such.
That's especially true on side roads. I know around here, a lot of the crossings only have one of those X signs and occasionally a YIELD sign. What makes it worse is that a lot of those rails are surrounded by roughage like shrubs and small trees meaning that it's very difficult to see an oncoming train.

Granted, a lot of those railroads around here have been decommissioned but some are still in use.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 04:17:34 pm »
I'm impressed, it must really say something about the seriousness of the subject that we have ten replies and not one taking the road down innuendo :thumbsup:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 06:12:47 pm »
I'm impressed, it must really say something about the seriousness of the subject that we have ten replies and not one taking the road down :thumbsup:

That would be juvenile behavior and decorum prohibits talk of such things in mixed company.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2023, 06:47:49 pm »
I'm impressed, it must really say something about the seriousness of the subject that we have ten replies and not one taking the road down innuendo :thumbsup:

We save those for those Sci-Fi threads where the Klingons have invaded Uranus.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.