Author Topic: F-22s Marked for Retirement Will Never Be Combat Worthy, General Says  (Read 85 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-22s Marked for Retirement Will Never Be Combat Worthy, General Says

The Air Force hopes Congress will let them get rid of 32 Block 20 F-22s in the 2024 budget.
AUDREY DECKER | APRIL 6, 2023 04:12 PM ET
AIR FORCE CONGRESS

The U.S. Air Force can’t use its F-22 Block 20 jets in conflict—because it would require too much effort and cost too much to get the aircraft ready for battle, a top service official said.

“They will never be a part of the combat force. They don't have the most modern communications. They don't shoot the most modern weapons. They don't have the most modern electronic warfare capabilities,” said Lt. Gen. Richard Moore, deputy chief of staff for plans and programs for the Air Force.

The Air Force is asking to shed 32 Block 20 F-22s in its 2024 budget—a divestment that was  blocked by Congress last year.

“There's a lot of thought that it's too early to be walking away from fifth-gen[eration] aircraft, and the Block 20s certainly are, but they are not the Block 30/35 aircraft. They are not the fifth-gen Air Force that we're going to carry into combat, and it was a little bit of a difficult choice, but a choice that we made nonetheless, because we believe it's imperative to get to the future,” Moore said Thursday during a Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies event.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/04/f-22s-marked-retirement-will-never-be-combat-worthy-general-says/384916/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: F-22s Marked for Retirement Will Never Be Combat Worthy, General Says
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 02:02:31 pm »
And most of the other aircraft of the AF aren't combat ready.  Fine job of planning by the COS. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson