Author Topic: Alan Dershowitz warns there's 'no chance' Trump gets acquitted in NYC: Judge, jurors 'don't have the  (Read 885 times)

Offline libertybele

My bets are on his assessment -- there is no chance that Trump will be acquitted. 

Alan Dershowitz warns there's 'no chance' Trump gets acquitted in NYC: Judge, jurors 'don't have the courage'

Famed attorney Alan Dershowitz warned Wednesday that former President Donald Trump has "no chance" of getting acquitted in liberal New York City in Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg's unprecedented legal case.

"There's no way he can get a fair trial," he told Fox News' Sean Hannity. "I don't care if Jesus, Muhammad, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Thurgood Marshall defended Trump in New York, he wouldn't win this case. Hung jury? Maybe. Acquittal? Never."

Dershowitz's comments came on the heels of Trump's Tuesday arraignment where he pled not guilty to 34 counts of falsifying business records linked to 2016 hush-money payments...............

https://www.foxnews.com/media/alan-dershowitz-warns-chance-trump-acquitted-nyc-judge-jurors-courage
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline BellyAche

I agree that this will be a long and messy affair. I suspect that Trump will be so distracted by all this that any clear messaging from his campaign with his suggestions on how to improve the country will be lost. He has a difficult enough time focusing on this without sounding like he's on a crusade of personal vengeance. This will make it all the more worse! But his stolid supporters will support him no matter the mess and because of this mess. The "wagons will circle."
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LMAO

He won’t get acquitted in New York City but will on appeal

But he also has other trials facing him
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

But he also has other trials facing him

Would he have to appeal in NY??  I think it's going to be the same outcome. He may escape some of the 34 felony counts against him, but I don't think all of them.

Personally, I hope he is acquitted. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

.......sounding like he's on a crusade of personal vengeance. This will make it all the more worse! But his stolid supporters will support him no matter the mess and because of this mess. The "wagons will circle."

Fighting to restore the intent and integrity of our cornerstone institutions is not personal vengeance @BellyAche

Offline libertybele

I agree that this will be a long and messy affair. I suspect that Trump will be so distracted by all this that any clear messaging from his campaign with his suggestions on how to improve the country will be lost. He has a difficult enough time focusing on this without sounding like he's on a crusade of personal vengeance. This will make it all the more worse! But his stolid supporters will support him no matter the mess and because of this mess. The "wagons will circle."

That's just it @BellyAche Trump had us pointed in a better direction; we were energy independent. He renegotiated trade deals.  Unemployment went way down.  The border was not completely secure but he had greatly improved the situation of the influx of illegals.

Vengeance?  He's been accused of bogus crappola since he took office; Russia collusion and the shady impeachment.

Yes, I take issue with things Trump has done but what is now happening is just plain wrong and really bad for the country.  It's happening to him, he has every right to point it out, though I agree his time would be better spent focusing on his accomplishments as President and how he will move us forward again.

I hope he is acquitted but I truly have my doubts.

Offline BellyAche

I agree that there is certainly a reason for Trump to be angry, given the host of accusations. But he does personalize many things and sounds vengeful to many, as if he'll take office again to settle scores. I find that type of hostility a personal failing regardless of what good he may have done in the past or can do in the future. Not that he must be a "doormat" but his aggressiveness doesn't come off well sometimes. OK, results are what matters, but character matters as well. I find him wanting. But votes will go for him against Biden any day!! And in the end, that's what matters to his supporters. Time will tell.... 
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline roamer_1

That is probably right. And the conviction will not come until after he is the nominee... Leaving no choice, and wrecking the right in this cycle... Something like that...

Then if he finally wins on appeal, it would be a moot point, because the season will be lost, and he will be too old in four more years.

Offline LMAO

That is probably right. And the conviction will not come until after he is the nominee... Leaving no choice, and wrecking the right in this cycle... Something like that...

Then if he finally wins on appeal, it would be a moot point, because the season will be lost, and he will be too old in four more years.

He’s also facing the Georgia election issue case

And, I think it sometime this month, a defamation case brought on by at least one of the many women that have accused him of sexual misconduct

The GOP is in such a mess. But it won’t last forever.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

Like always, distracted by shiny sh*t.

But you can't tell em. They can't hear you.  :shrug:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

At a minimum, it will last and likely get worse until he is defeated.  I'd rather begin the process of putting him in the rear view mirror as soon as possible, and that's a big reason I wouldn't vote for him in the general election.  The Democratic Party has entered a phase where it is most likely to discredit itself in the eyes of a great many voters.   I worry that if Trump wins in 2024, he'll permanently alienate some folks who might have been persuadable to conservative cause.

Online cato potatoe

Would he have to appeal in NY??  I think it's going to be the same outcome. He may escape some of the 34 felony counts against him, but I don't think all of them.

Releasing the indictment did nothing to quell anyone's fears of political corruption.  If what Dershowitz says is correct, and the local judges and jury will automatically succumb to peer pressure, this certainly needs a change of venue. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

@libertybele

To answer that question, yes.  New York has odd names for its courts.  The trial court is actually referred to at the "Supreme Court".  If he loses at trial, it would then be appealed to a court of the Appellate Division, and then after that, the highest court in New York State is called the Court of Appeals.

He could still appeal a decision of the New York Court of Appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the grounds for such an appeal would be very limited.  Essentially, he'd have to argue not just that those courts were wrong, but that his federal constitutional rights were violated.  Normally, in a case like this, that would be a very difficult standard.  But lets say Trump is found guilty on all 34 counts, and the judge gives him the maximum sentence on each to run consecutively, which means life in prison.  I think that given who he is, SCOTUS might well take a case like that and step in -- could even be an 8th Amendment claim or something.  But if it isn't something that extreme, and he's just found guilty and has to serve a year or two, getting SCOTUS to step in might be really tough.

Offline Kamaji

@libertybele

To answer that question, yes.  New York has odd names for its courts.  The trial court is actually referred to at the "Supreme Court".  If he loses at trial, it would then be appealed to a court of the Appellate Division, and then after that, the highest court in New York State is called the Court of Appeals.

He could still appeal a decision of the New York Court of Appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the grounds for such an appeal would be very limited.  Essentially, he'd have to argue not just that those courts were wrong, but that his federal constitutional rights were violated.  Normally, in a case like this, that would be a very difficult standard.  But lets say Trump is found guilty on all 34 counts, and the judge gives him the maximum sentence on each to run consecutively, which means life in prison.  I think that given who he is, SCOTUS might well take a case like that and step in -- could even be an 8th Amendment claim or something.  But if it isn't something that extreme, and he's just found guilty and has to serve a year or two, getting SCOTUS to step in might be really tough.

:thumbsup:

Offline MajorClay

Releasing the indictment did nothing to quell anyone's fears of political corruption.  If what Dershowitz says is correct, and the local judges and jury will automatically succumb to peer pressure, this certainly needs a change of venue.

Pray

Offline libertybele

Agreed, but I doubt they will change the venue.  My bets are on Dershowitz's opinion.  To me it looks doubtful that Trump is going to come out on top of this.

Offline libertybele

Offline roamer_1

Agreed, but I doubt they will change the venue.  My bets are on Dershowitz's opinion.  To me it looks doubtful that Trump is going to come out on top of this.

I would be totally surprised if he didn't get a full skate... But I will bet he will be convicted, and win on appeal.