Author Topic: Biden Administration Calls the Asylum System Broken, But Won’t Use Their Tools to Fix It  (Read 319 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden Administration Calls the Asylum System Broken, But Won’t Use Their Tools to Fix It
April 04, 2023

In a recent interview with 60 Minutes, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas ignored the obvious and, again, declined to call the situation on the Southern border a crisis. Secretary Mayorkas did, however, acknowledge that the asylum system is “broken,” while blaming Congress and previous administrations for the problem.

Immediately upon taking office, the Biden administration began implementing open-borders policy changes, something even the nonconfrontational 60 Minutes suggested was viewed by migrants as an invitation to come here. President Biden’s rollback of the Remain in Mexico policy, neutering of Title 42, and halt to border wall construction directly coincided with record-breaking illegal crossings and the collapse of law and order at the Southern border. If the Biden administration really believes that the growing backlogs of over two million cases and universally acknowledged chaos that coincide directly with the Biden administration are indicative of a broken system, why are they not using all the tools available to them to fix the problem?

Quite simply, they don’t really want to fix the problem. Fixing the asylum system and the border crisis would require reinstating and strengthening many of the same policies the Biden administration gleefully revoked with the backing of the open-borders lobby. In the interview, Secretary Mayorkas admits that migrants have been receiving a message that the borders are open since the start of the Biden administration. The millions of illegals the administration has allowed to cross have only reinforced that notion.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2023/04/04/biden-administration-calls-asylum-system-broken-wont-use-their-tools-fix-it
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson