Author Topic: U.S. immigration policy causes migrant deaths  (Read 127 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. immigration policy causes migrant deaths
« on: April 05, 2023, 11:41:31 am »

U.S. immigration policy causes migrant deaths
By Ted Kelly posted on April 4, 2023

On March 30, Mexican police arrested three officials from the National Immigration Institute and two private security guards. The arrests occurred just days after a deadly blaze at a migrant detention facility in Ciudad Juárez. One of the incarcerated migrants, who has been accused of starting the fire, has also been arrested. (NPR, March 31)

While an investigation into the fire, which killed 40 people, is underway, those really responsible are still at large.

Regardless of how the blaze started — or who started it — the scope of this murder investigation must go beyond who lit the match. This criminal conspiracy goes further than the immigration agents who locked the cell doors and walked away, even as the victims cried for help.

The responsibility even goes above the heads of the prison officials who let the fire burn. According to the Ciudad Juárez fire department, no one at the detention center called emergency services. Instead, an on-duty captain saw the smoke and ran back to the station to alert others. Firefighters had to break down the cell doors to make a rescue. “It was a coincidence that we were fortunately able to get anybody out alive,” said one. (La Verdad, March 31)

https://www.workers.org/2023/04/70222/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S. immigration policy causes migrant deaths
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 11:43:35 am »
If a people are acting illegally, they are ultimately responsible for anything that happens to them.  They would take credit if they succeed, so they need to take credit when they don't.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson