Author Topic: Gen. Milley, who led the Afghanistan pullout, calls the China threat 'overheated'  (Read 376 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
April 3, 2023
Gen. Milley, who led the Afghanistan pullout, calls the China threat 'overheated'
By Monica Showalter

Nothing to see here, move along.

So goes the thinking of Gen. Mark Milley, who 'distinguished' himself to Americans and everyone else with his 2021 Afghanistan pullout, speaking this time about China.

According to Defense One, which got an exclusive:

Everyone needs to calm down about war with China, Gen. Mark Milley said on Friday. 

The Joint Chiefs chairman warned against the rise of “overheated” rhetoric of a looming U.S. war with China, and he said he doubts China’s chances of “conquering” Taiwan. But, he added, the United States should continue to quicken arms shipments to the self-governing nation and its own military capabilities, just in case.

Following this year’s Chinese balloon scare, the China heat is on. In the last two weeks, members of Congress in hearings aimed a list of concerns about China—everything from nuclear weapons to computer chips, invading Taiwan, and allying with Russia—at Milley and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin. Milley has taken to telling lawmakers that war with China—and Russia—is “not imminent or inevitable.” It’s part of an effort to lower the heat, he said.

“I think there's a lot of rhetoric in China, and a lot of rhetoric elsewhere, to include the United States, that could create the perception that war is right around the corner or we’re on the brink of war with China,” Milley said in an interview with Defense One.

“And that could happen. I mean, it is possible that you could have an incident or some other trigger event that could lead to uncontrolled escalation. So, it's not impossible. But I don't think at this point I would put it in the likely category,” said Milley. “And I think that the rhetoric itself can overheat the environment.”

Which, to paraphrase Chesterton, sounds like a guy running around with a firehose at a time of flood.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/04/gen_milley_who_led_the_afghanistan_pullout_calls_the_china_threat_overheated.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Since he is in China's pocket, no surprise he would lie about this.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The majority of the world thought the threat from Hitler was "overheated," too.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I bet he talks with them every day.

Hitler and Stalin were 'buddies' until Operation Barbarossa kicked off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

This guy sure has a lot of medals for a complete imbecile. Or were they awarded him by our enemies in grateful appreciation for all he's done for them?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

This guy sure has a lot of medals for a complete imbecile. Or were they awarded him by our enemies in grateful appreciation for all he's done for them?

I believe that (a) they are largely the military version of participation awards, and (b) he probably awarded most of them to himself.

Offline mountaineer

I believe that (a) they are largely the military version of participation awards, and (b) he probably awarded most of them to himself.
They're so large, and cover most of his jacket. He looks like a freaking North Korean (who no doubt also appreciate his service against the USA).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

Xi is seeking to restore the greatness of China before Western European, Russian, and Japanese expansion in the 1800s.

China, 1820 - Qing Empire (orange) and Tributary States (green):

Qing Empire at its greatest extent:

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ladies and gentlemans,DE BANK DEPOSIT HAZ CLEARED!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@mountaineer

He had political backup,so when he put himself in for them,no one dared to question the awards for fear of losing their careers and pensions.

You can bet you ass he put himself in for the two CIB awards because as far as I can tell,he was NEVER attached to a line unit that was in combat until he was the commanding officer,and barred from getting invovled in firefights.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!