Author Topic: Daughter of Judge Overseeing Trump Case Works with Biden-Harris Campaign  (Read 872 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Daughter of Judge Overseeing Trump Case Works with Biden-Harris Campaign
Frank BergmanApril 4, 2023 - 9:23 am1 Comment

The judge overseeing Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s politically motivated case against President Donald Trump has some questionable ties to the Democrat White House.

New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan is presiding over Bragg’s get-Trump case.

However, Judge Merchan is far from impartial and has tangled with Trump in the past.

Merchan previously oversaw the tax fraud cases of The Trump Organization and the company’s former CFO Allen Weisselberg.

https://slaynews.com/news/daughter-judge-overseeing-trump-case-works-biden-harris-campaign/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It seems to me the judge has a rather significant conflict of interest and should recuse himself.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Normally, such a family connection might not matter, but in a case like this, the judge should recuse himself.  Of course, being a liberal, he won't do so.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
  in a case like this, the judge should recuse himself.  Of course, being a liberal, he won't do so.

You nailed it.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

If true, what could possibly go right for Trump??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

It seems to me the judge has a rather significant conflict of interest and should recuse himself.

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

Because of course.
Mia Cathell
@MiaCathell
Judge Merchan's daughter, Loren, previously worked for Kamala Harris's 2020 presidential campaign as "Director of Digital Persuasion," according to her deleted LinkedIn page, which listed her pronouns.
2:59 PM · Apr 4, 2023

Mia Cathell
@MiaCathell
Loren Merchan, the daughter of the judge handling Trump's case, is now president of Authentic Campaigns, a consulting company that has fundraised over $250 million for progressive campaigns. Its clients include Kamala Harris, the Biden-Harris campaign, and Gavin Newsom
3:13 PM · Apr 4, 2023
Oh, So the Judge Overseeing Trump's Case Is a Biden Donor
Mia Cathell
April 04, 2023 1:45 PM

...  According to Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings, Merchan donated three times to ActBlue in the summer of 2020, once on July 26, 2020, when the judge's donation was—according to the FEC—earmarked for President Joe Biden's 2020 presidential campaign. The other two of Merchan's contributions were pledged to the Progressive Turnout Project (PTP), a left-wing PAC that rallies voter turnout for Democrat candidates, and Stop Republicans, a PTP sub-project that's dedicated to "resisting" Trump and the Republican Party.  ...
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/miacathell/2023/04/04/trump-judge-background-n2621493
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If Justice Thomas isn't recusing himself for his wife's political activities, then we can't really expect this judge to do the same because of his daughter's.

Hate to be the one to throw a wet blanket on the party, but that's just reality.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am prettty sure that is irrelevant because this is nothing more than a political plot to try to derail Trumps campaign for the Oval Office.

When shows you why I call the left "Dims". ALL it is going to do is give him more public support.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If true, what could possibly go right for Trump??

@libertybele

EVERYTHING!

The Dims staging this kangaroo court makes Trump look like a victim instead of an arrogant Billionaire.

You just can't buy publicity to help your campaign more than this,regardless of how much money  you are able and willing to spend.

The Dims are literally snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

If Justice Thomas isn't recusing himself for his wife's political activities, then we can't really expect this judge to do the same because of his daughter's.

Hate to be the one to throw a wet blanket on the party, but that's just reality.

True enough, in the ordinary case.  But this is not the ordinary case, and the judge - who is also on record as having made left-wing political contributions - should recuse himself.

FEC data shows that among the 3 contributions made to Act Blue, one was earmarked for “Biden for President,” another earmarked for “Stop Republicans,” and the last one earmarked for “Progressive Turnout Project.”

Although the dollar amounts were what some would be considered small, this proves impartiality towards Donald Trump. Donating to both the former and future expected counterpart on the presidential ballot is a huge deal, and something that cannot go unnoticed.

Source:  https://thedcpatriot.com/breaking-as-trump-is-arraigned-fec-data-shows-judges-political-contributions-against-trump-republicans/

The last two, in particular, indicate a political animus that could arguably infect the judge's decisions.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
True enough, in the ordinary case.  But this is not the ordinary case....

There's a bit of ipse dixit to that.   I mean, Justice Thomas sat on election related cases where his wife was arguing that there had been large scale election fraud.  If this case is not the"ordinary case", then I don't think those election cases were either.

...and the judge - who is also on record as having made left-wing political contributions - should recuse himself.

Source:  https://thedcpatriot.com/breaking-as-trump-is-arraigned-fec-data-shows-judges-political-contributions-against-trump-republicans/

The last two, in particular, indicate a political animus that could arguably infect the judge's decisions.

I would agree that the judge's own political biases are a different issue. I was simply speaking to the specific issue of the political leanings of this judge's daughter.

Offline Kamaji

There's a bit of ipse dixit to that.   I mean, Justice Thomas sat on election related cases where his wife was arguing that there had been large scale election fraud.  If this case is not the"ordinary case", then I don't think those election cases were either.

I would agree that the judge's own political biases are a different issue. I was simply speaking to the specific issue of the political leanings of this judge's daughter.

Fair enough, and I think all have to acknowledge that (a) this is an area that calls for discretion and judgment, and (b) except in cases of extremely obvious conflict of interest, matters of recusal are, for better or worse, left up to the judge in question.

Offline mountaineer

Oh, So the Judge Overseeing Trump's Case Is a Biden Donor
Tom Fitton
@TomFitton
Judges are prohibited under ethics rules from donating to political campaigns and organizations. Accordingly, there are legitimate concerns about Judge Merchan's reported political contributions while a sitting judge to Biden and Democratic causes.
1:32 PM · Apr 6, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline BellyAche

The judge probably tried to skirt any conflicts by donating to an umbrella organization, Act Blue, which funds all things liberal including at that time the Biden campaign.   **nononono*
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kamaji

The judge probably tried to skirt any conflicts by donating to an umbrella organization, Act Blue, which funds all things liberal including at that time the Biden campaign.   **nononono*

Yes, but he apparently earmarked portions of his contribution for specific recipients.

Offline BellyAche

Yes, but he apparently earmarked portions of his contribution for specific recipients.

Eejit!

*****rollingeyes*****
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt