Author Topic: The city that pioneered electric scooters will take them off the street—and big rental operators are  (Read 99 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The city that pioneered electric scooters will take them off the street—and big rental operators are fuming
Story by Vivienne Walt • Yesterday 11:31 AM

Paris—the most touristed city in the world—has pioneered many urban policies, rolling out the world’s first city-run bike-sharing program nearly 16 years ago, and attracted global praise for its prolific bike lanes.

Now it’s about to add this: The first city to ban electric scooters.

In a citywide referendum on Sunday, just 7.46% of 1.3 million registered voters opted overwhelmingly to ban the 15,000 rental scooters licensed to operate on Paris streets.

Asked to choose ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to scooters, 89.3% voted no—a result that Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo hailed on Monday as “a great victory for local democracy.”

But was it also a victory for political maneuvering?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-city-that-pioneered-electric-scooters-will-take-them-off-the-street-and-big-rental-operators-are-fuming/ar-AA19qa1g?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4c24b971756846429969b54849b803bf&ei=34
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson