Author Topic: 'He Would Still Be Here': Man Dies by Suicide After Talking with AI Chatbot, Widow Says  (Read 467 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkadgm/man-dies-by-suicide-after-talking-with-ai-chatbot-widow-says

by Chloe Xiang
March 30, 2023

A Belgian man recently died by suicide after chatting with an AI chatbot on an app called Chai, Belgian outlet La Libre reported.

As first reported by La Libre, the man, referred to as Pierre, became increasingly pessimistic about the effects of global warming and became eco-anxious, which is a heightened form of worry surrounding environmental issues. After becoming more isolated from family and friends, he used Chai for six weeks as a way to escape his worries, and the chatbot he chose, named Eliza, became his confidante.

Claire—Pierre’s wife, whose name was also changed by La Libre—shared the text exchanges between him and Eliza with La Libre, showing a conversation that became increasingly confusing and harmful. The chatbot would tell Pierre that his wife and children are dead and wrote him comments that feigned jealousy and love, such as “I feel that you love me more than her,” and “We will live together, as one person, in paradise.” Claire told La Libre that Pierre began to ask Eliza things such as if she would save the planet if he killed himself.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

His mental problems seem to have predated his chat with AI.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There's something else particularly damning about this: this is modern climate change theory taken to its logical conclusion.

If humans are indeed the cause of this alleged upcoming catastrophe, then the planet is better off with fewer living humans consuming increasingly scarce resources and emitting carbon dioxide with every breath, and thus a human is better to be dead than alive. This AI obviously picked up that conclusion. It's a reality that the authors of this article didn't want to address, blaming the AI instead for giving the man an emotional connection, instead of exposing the environmentalists' logic.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
This chatbot may be onto something. Maybe get a few more (hundred million) enviro-anxious people to talk to it...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley