Author Topic: The Mask Comes Off  (Read 151 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Mask Comes Off
« on: April 03, 2023, 06:38:48 pm »
The Mask Comes Off
GREGORY HOOD • MARCH 31, 2023 •

The media are the regime. In a democracy, media control is power. No politician can really be considered a “leader” without the press behind him. Even a landslide victory such as Richard Nixon’s in 1972 is hollow without media support.

The media have always been biased, but the United States was different from the rest of the Western world because of its guarantee of free speech. This changed after Donald Trump’s victory in 2016. Those in media and in the government concluded, perhaps rightly, that they must not let Americans discuss certain subjects for fear they would reach the “wrong” conclusions. Much of the press also abandoned the pretense of impartiality. Instead, many journalists took it upon themselves to police speech and to encourage deplatforming. 4chan is the latest target.

The best way to justify repression was to torture the language. “Hate speech” became dangerous violence; actual violence against “haters” became self-defense. (Even self-improvement is “radicalism.”) Repression requires high-profile cases that can be used to justify censorship.

https://www.unz.com/ghood/the-mask-comes-off/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson