Author Topic: Manhattan’s population rebound leads nation, driven largely by immigration  (Read 126 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Manhattan’s population rebound leads nation, driven largely by immigration
The borough grew by more than 17,000 residents from 2021 to 2022, while the number of residents in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx again declined.

By SAHALIE DONALDSON | MARCH 30, 2023
The majority of Manhattan’s population growth from 2021 to 2022 came from immigrants – a trend that may continue in part given the sweeping number of asylum-seekers who’ve arrived in the city since spring.

New population estimates released today from the U.S Census Bureau indicated that the exodus of people who fled the city in recent years seems to be inching back toward pre-pandemic rates. Manhattan – fueled in large part by nearly 11,000 international arrivals – added 17,472 residents between July 1, 2022 and the same date a year prior. While the borough’s population count is still well below the 1.6 million city dwellers in 2019, nearly 100,000 people left Manhattan the year before. All in all, the increase marks the biggest improvement in the nation, marking Manhattan as a national outlier, according to The New York Times. Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx in particular continued to hemorrhage residents, although not as drastically as the year prior.

Theodore Moore, vice president of policy at the New York Immigration Coalition, said that even though the report only included numbers up until July – roughly a month before Texas started sending buses carrying asylum-seekers in the city – newly arrived migrants are still reflected in part in Manhattan’s growth. That’s also the case in some other parts of the state like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/policy/2023/03/manhattans-population-rebound-leads-nation-driven-largely-immigration/384638/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What a deal!  Manhattan taxpayers get to pay for all of them. :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

The article mentions 'asylum seekers'.  Once granted asylum they can apply for citizenship within 5 years, which then means that they can vote.

This I would assume is happening elsewhere, wherever they've been bused to or migrated to. The amount of new DEMS voters will then substantially outnumber GOP voters making it mathematically impossible for a GOP to be seated.  This is why our borders have remained opened.  Then there's the issue of amnesty/citizenship being granted to those already here.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.