Author Topic: The US Air Force sent F-35s to defend NATO. Here’s what it learned.  (Read 87 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The US Air Force sent F-35s to defend NATO. Here’s what it learned.
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Friday, Mar 31

HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah — America’s most advanced fighter jet is in its element over Eastern Europe.

As Russia launched its offensive in Ukraine in February 2022, NATO’s eastern flank became an ideal proving ground for the F-35 Lightning II, officials with the 388th Fighter Wing here told Air Force Times during a recent visit.

Members of the active duty 388th FW and the Air Force Reserve’s 419th Fighter Wing became the first American F-35A units to arrive in support of NATO amid the opening volleys of the Russo-Ukrainian War last year. They deployed to Germany’s Spangdahlem Air Base from February to May 2022.

Their mission: Vacuum up as much electronic data as possible from the surface-to-air missiles and aircraft dotting Eastern Europe to build a map to guide NATO operations. And, if the situation spilled into NATO countries, to add some muscle.

https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-air-force/2023/03/31/the-us-air-force-sent-f-35s-to-defend-nato-heres-what-it-learned/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: The US Air Force sent F-35s to defend NATO. Here’s what it learned.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 04:08:03 pm »
Very interesting.