Author Topic: DeSantis wins over Pennsylvania grassroots activists and leaves no doubt he's running  (Read 678 times)

Online corbe

DeSantis wins over Pennsylvania grassroots activists and leaves no doubt he's running

by Salena Zito, National Political Reporter 
April 03, 2023 07:00 AM

CAMP HILL, Pennsylvania — Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) left little doubt during his speech Saturday to Keystone State conservatives gathered for the annual Pennsylvania Leadership Conference: He is running for the Republican nomination for president. Nothing and no one will get in his way of doing that.

“We have a responsibility to preserve what the founders of our country called the sacred fire of liberty,” the Florida governor said in his closing remarks of the nearly hourlong speech that brought attendees at the Penn Harris conference center, even those with red MAGA hats on, to their feet several times.

DeSantis told the crowd “the fire of liberty” began right here in this state in 1776 at Independence Hall in Philadelphia “when 56 men pledged their lives to establish a new nation” and continued down the road in Gettysburg when the nation's first Republican president pledged this nation to a new birth of freedom.

Continuing that fire of liberty, he said, “is a responsibility that we as conservatives have at this time in our history. It's not something that we should shrink from. It's something that we should welcome. We need to be strong. We need to hold the line. And we can never, ever back down."

“I can tell you this: I'm proud of what we've done in Florida," DeSantis said. "We're going to do more, but I have only begun to fight because we are going to save liberty in this country. God bless you all."

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/desantis-wins-over-pennsylvania-grassroots-activists-leaves-no-doubt-hes-running
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

He'd better get the Florida legislature to deal with the statute that currently requires him to resign once he officially starts running for another position.

Offline libertybele

He'd better get the Florida legislature to deal with the statute that currently requires him to resign once he officially starts running for another position.

I believe that's already been done -- the bill has been filed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:43:15 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Prepare for the Trump insults.
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Prepare for the Trump insults.

This doesn't make sense @debrawiest

Offline Kamaji

I believe that's already been done -- the bill has been filed.

:thumbsup:

@libertybele

Thanks for the info!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline LMAO

From the article…

It wasn’t lost on me that he had quite a few people with these Trump hats and MAGA hats on. They were really, really enthused,” she said.

Hmmm…
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

Offline libertybele

This doesn't make sense @debrawiest

It certainly does.  Trump has already fired off several insults at DeSantis.  Do you anticipate that Trump will stop??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

:thumbsup:

@libertybele

Thanks for the info!

I was very much hoping that he wouldn't run.  I don't want to lose our governor.  Nor do I want to see the mudslinging from Trump that we saw in '16.

Offline cato potatoe

Oh, yes it does.

It does, and it doesn't.  The democrats, he argues, are trying to put him in prison.  Yet he spends most of his energy trashing a republican who came to his defense.

https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-uses-his-one-phone-call-to-ring-up-ron-desantis-and-yell-at-him

Offline libertybele

It does, and it doesn't.  The democrats, he argues, are trying to put him in prison.  Yet he spends most of his energy trashing a republican who came to his defense.

https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-uses-his-one-phone-call-to-ring-up-ron-desantis-and-yell-at-him

Anyone doubt that they won't???

Offline Right_in_Virginia

It certainly does.  Trump has already fired off several insults at DeSantis.  Do you anticipate that Trump will stop??

Why is DeSantis above an insult @libertybele ?

Offline LMAO

I first saw that link and thought, “wow”

Then I saw it was from the Babylon Bee…lol
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

Why is DeSantis above an insult @libertybele ?

Why is it that Trump fired several insults at a conservative governor who hadn't announced?  Why is it that Trump bullies conservatives but goes soft on liberals; Hillary as an example.

Secondly, if his insults are warranted and what he says is true is one thing, but to make up crappola is different (i.e., Cruz's father killed JFK).

So rather debate on the issues we'll have a campaign of insults and false accusations just like in '16.  Is that what you want and is that what you think is best for the Republican party???

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
What I find most odd is the apparent expectation among Trump supporters that people Trump openly insults should feel obligated to support his nomination and not run themselves.  If they choose to run anyway, they are "disloyal" or "tools of the GOPe".

Screw him.  I think it is perfectly proper for other Republicans to condemn the overreach of this prosecutor, while simultaneously making their best efforts to ensure Trump is not the GOP nominee.  Him being the target of a political prosecution doesn't make him any more suited to be the nominee.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:51:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline cato potatoe

Anyone doubt that they won't???

Who knows.  Jack Smith is a tenacious prosecutor.  Donald seems to believe the presidency is his path to freedom, but at the rate he is burning bridges, an insanity defense may be more successful.

Offline Kamaji

I was very much hoping that he wouldn't run.  I don't want to lose our governor.  Nor do I want to see the mudslinging from Trump that we saw in '16.

Totally understandable.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"DeSantis wins over Pennsylvania grassroots activists and leaves no doubt he's running..."

A Fishrrman "100% fearless™" prediction:

Ron DeSantis doesn't have a prayer to win Pennsylvania in 2024.

I'm not saying that Mr. Trump can win PA, either. That's very doubtful at this point.

But of the two, Mr. Trump's chances are far FAR higher than those of Mr. DeSantis.

(I'll save this post in my "predictions folder" and post it again after Election Day, 2024)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
IMO, what he said is equivocal. Until he actually declares his candidacy, he isn't running.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

IMO, what he said is equivocal. Until he actually declares his candidacy, he isn't running.

Absolutely positively agree.