General Category > Weather

Another widespread severe weather threat with strong tornadoes to impact 48M in central US Tuesday

<< < (2/3) > >>

deb:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on April 03, 2023, 03:41:33 pm ---I don't know..this is the same weather pattern like we had the other night...I was terrified all evening as we had tornadoes all around us with sirens going off non-stop.

Tues/Wed storm is in the middle of the night and early morning hours...

--- End quote ---

We are expecting another 12-18” of snow starting tomorrow morning.
Praying for your safety during the tornado watches. I’ll happily put up with snow.

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on April 03, 2023, 03:24:38 pm ---What's generating these repeat events?

--- End quote ---
Obvious answer is Trump. Okay I apologize, I have great concern for Briefers and well, all Americans impacted by these severe events and prayers for the dead and their families. I have a good friend with a farm in Missouri and family in North Carolina, though it looks like my family is on the outskirts of the severe weather.

Prayers for all of you impacted by this

Sighlass:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on April 03, 2023, 02:21:35 pm ---OMG...will this ever stop.... :crying:

--- End quote ---

Last year, our state had 98 tornadoes (confirmed), looks like we are right on schedule this year. We have had 62 in one day before (2011 with 148 that year ). Tornado Alley has shifted into Dixie Alley...

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on April 03, 2023, 03:24:38 pm ---What's generating these repeat events?

--- End quote ---

This is not a 100% rule of thumb, but when you get air upper zonal due east west, that is normally a harbringer of normal or calm weathers that outside of winter lend themsleves to precipitation that normally are thermally driven.  Like those afternoon showers that spring up after the clouds billow up.  And normally under these conditons, severe weather doesn't happen.

OTOH, in late Spring and early Fall if you see dips in the jet, that does two things.

(1) Those swirls of intermixing of the zonal flows and polar like flow spin up low pressure systems
(2) Those swirls of intermixing of zonal and polar flows also create increased temperature differntials in the air masses, that give even more uplift.  When you see those examples of significant uplift, that is when you get your bad storms, hail, and tornadoes.  And if it happens to be in a area of (1) that amplifies the updraft.

There are cases like with just dry lines, where there can be very little temperature variation, but if two bubbles of dry and moist air clash, you can get the same.  This mostly happens in the southern plains, where we often can get twisters without a front.

Long answer, but to your question, and watching the GFS models, we are seeing much of the same of angular dips in the upper jet until mid month.  Then thing look more zonal then But again, the GFS isn't always right

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2022121506&fh=126

libertybele:
Such severe weather in April?  Quite unusual isn't it??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version