State Chapters > Florida

Florida bill could increase penalties for dealers for overdose deaths

(1/1)

Free Vulcan:
Individuals who sell controlled substances in the Sunshine State such as fentanyl could face serious penalties for the overdose deaths of drug users if a new bill is signed into law.

Senate Bill 280 revises definitions for what constitutes first degree, second and third degree murder and also provides harsher penalties for adults who distribute, deliver, sell, or dispense specified substances that result in an injury or death to the user.

Fentanyl use has become a serious issue for many states, and Florida officials are trying to stem the flow of illegal substances that cause harm to not only the user, but to the community as a whole.

In May 2022, Gov. Ron DeSantis signed House Bill 95 into law, which raised the penalties for individuals who sell opioids and its derivatives with a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison and a fine of $750,000.

SB 280 takes this law a step further and includes not only opioids like heroin and fentanyl, but also substances like methamphetamine and cocaine.

https://justthenews.com/nation/states/center-square/florida-bill-could-increase-penalties-dealers-overdose-deaths

Smokin Joe:
While I agree in spirit...

This would establish a precedent for making the seller responsible for the actions of the consumer.

The seller has no control of how the user uses the product, including dosage, frequency, etc.

--Much like firearms. The difference being that Firearms are legal and come with instruction manuals.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 03, 2023, 08:01:05 pm ---While I agree in spirit...

This would establish a precedent for making the seller responsible for the actions of the consumer.

The seller has no control of how the user uses the product, including dosage, frequency, etc.

--Much like firearms. The difference being that Firearms are legal and come with instruction manuals.

--- End quote ---

General product liability already contains rules much like that, so this isn't really breaking with existing product liability law, just applying it to this area specifically.

bigheadfred:
I saw a  "drug" show (can't remember if it was Drugs Inc.)  that showed a black guy adding fentanyl to heroin. He admitted he didn't know what he was doing and said they would go around after it hit the streets to see how many people were falling out from using it. The stronger, the more the demand.

So, yeah, harsher penalties for dealers? I can get behind that.

Fishrrman:
BIGheadFred wrote:
"So, yeah, harsher penalties for dealers? I can get behind that."

There should be only ONE "penalty" for drug dealers.
(delivered on-the-spot)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version