Author Topic: Texas man uses Apple AirTag to track and kill truck thief, police say  (Read 442 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/man-tracked-killed-apple-airtag/285-c17ea334-25e6-4cce-a07d-90c3b8966089

Texas man uses Apple AirTag to track and kill truck thief, police say
by John Diaz
March 30, 2023

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — An investigation is underway after a man was killed after allegedly stealing a truck, according to San Antonio police.

The shooting happened Wednesday at a shopping center on San Antonio's southeast side when police said the owner of the truck used an Apple AirTag to track down the alleged thief.

Police said they received a report about a stolen vehicle around 1 p.m. from a home in north San Antonio. The owner of the truck used the AirTag to track it down, but instead of alerting the police, he decided to take matters into his own hands.

The owner of the truck reportedly managed to track it down about 20 miles from where it was initially stolen. Police said the man shot and killed the alleged thief and that the thief was not aware of it being tracked.

Now police are working to determine if the suspect was armed. They also said victims of such crimes should not try to pursue suspects on their own.

"If you are to get your vehicle stolen, please do not take matters into your own hands like this," SAPD's Nick Soliz said. "It's never safe as you can see by this incident".

At the scene, evidence markers covered several bullet casings, and two vehicles in the parking lot had their windows shot out. Police said they're working to determine if the shooter will be charged.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Texas man uses Apple AirTag to track and kill truck thief, police say
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 01:46:23 pm »
OK, questions for all you folks who live in Texas...

I'm in the Northeast.

I realize "the rules" are very different "down where you are" -- especially in the state of Texas.

Am I correct to understand that a person can legally use deadly force to prevent the theft of his property (at least under certain circumstances)?

Could you clarify the truck owner's rights to act in such a situation?

I find it very interesting that the line in the article reads:
"Police said they're working to determine if the shooter will be charged".

Here, he would be behind bars already.

Wondering if a Texas grand jury would vote for an indictment...

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 02:06:25 pm »
Uh... no.  If he would have shot him the act, it could have been construed as a violent act, and maybe got "no billed" based on circumstance. As protection of property

He's screwed.  I'm as as pro-2A as they come, but when you hunt people down and shoot them?

Even horse thieves in the old west normally got some kind of trial before hanging.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 02:16:33 pm »
Uh... no.  If he would have shot him the act, it could have been construed as a violent act, and maybe got "no billed" based on circumstance. As protection of property

He's screwed.  I'm as as pro-2A as they come, but when you hunt people down and shoot them?

Even horse thieves in the old west normally got some kind of trial before hanging.

I'm not so sure about that.  If the thief confronted the owner and tried to prevent him from recovering his property the shooting may well be justified. The KHOU story tries to imply that the owner just tracked the guy down and shot him but in cold blood, I personally doubt that to be what actually happened. @catfish1957 @Fishrrman 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:17:21 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 02:27:27 pm »
I'm not so sure about that.  If the thief confronted the owner and tried to prevent him from recovering his property the shooting may well be justified. The KHOU story tries to imply that the owner just tracked the guy down and shot him but in cold blood, I personally doubt that to be what actually happened. @catfish1957 @Fishrrman 

With that example, that is part of the puzzle we don't have.  If there was a confrontation, and the perp was armed, or came at him with some form of weapon or threatening manner?   Then we have a huge complication.

OTOH, if he just hunted him down and shot him, then confiscated his truck?  My earlier assertion applies.   That's what's wrong with these early news reports.....   We just don't have all the details
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 04:41:16 pm »
Maybe the reason information leads one to the hunt down and kill conclusion is because KHOU is a Houston station and liberal leaning?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 04:46:01 pm »
Maybe the reason information leads one to the hunt down and kill conclusion is because KHOU is a Houston station and liberal leaning?

Good observation.  So many of the details are not avaiable.

OTOH, if the guy tracked the guy down, why didn't he just tail him, and call and let the cops do their thing?  Seems like a better outcome than the escalated version that unfolded. 

I am not afraid to exercise my 2A rights and kill someone if my home or family was attacked.  But that doesn't mean that event wouldn't linger in my psyche the rest of my life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 06:01:52 pm »

Liberal leaning??? More like toppled over! Just like all broadcast media these days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 06:06:56 pm »
All I can say is that if more people did this, fewer trucks would get jacked.
Stealing someone's truck is the equivalent of stealing their horse back when.
Jus' saying.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis