Author Topic: Op-ed claims Founding Fathers would want gun control  (Read 178 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Op-ed claims Founding Fathers would want gun control
« on: April 02, 2023, 03:19:55 pm »
Op-ed claims Founding Fathers would want gun control
By Tom Knighton | 8:30 AM on April 01, 2023

I’m a big believer in the Constitution, including the Bill of Rights. It’s why I’m a Second Amendment advocate. The way I see it, our Founding Fathers put together a document that did a pretty good job of limiting the government and securing our rights.

Too bad it’s ignored, such as the push for gun control.

But with frightening regularity, there comes someone who seems to act like they held a seance with the Founding Fathers and knows that their past words in support of the Second Amendment and the right to keep and bear arms would go out the window.

People such as this:

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/04/01/founding-gun-control-n69106
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Op-ed claims Founding Fathers would want gun control
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:22:02 pm »
That's why no gun control is found in the Constitution!  Actually, there isn't even a prohibition against civilians using canons should they want. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:28:57 pm »
The claim that the Founders would have demanded that Congress take action is absurd, and wouldn't be made by anyone honest who is familiar with our founding history.   If they would have felt a need to regular guns at some level, they would have believed that was the province of states/localities.

Prior to the passage of the 14th Amendment, there was no legitimate argument that the Constitution limited the power of states to regulate firearm possession.

People sometimes forget - or more likely never understood in the first place - that the Constitution and Bill of Rights in general limited only the power of the federal government, not that of the states.  States were free to regulate religion, speech, etc..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 07:07:12 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 10:27:21 pm »
"Op-ed claims Founding Fathers would want gun control"

Who wrote it?
This guy?