Author Topic: Did an AI Convince Someone to Sacrifice Himself for Climate Change?  (Read 139 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Did an AI Convince Someone to Sacrifice Himself for Climate Change?
16 hours ago Eric Worrall 
Essay by Eric Worrall

A grieving widow has accused EleutherAI’s GPT-J of convincing his husband that committing suicide would help save the planet from climate change.

Man ends his life after an AI chatbot ‘encouraged’ him to sacrifice himself to stop climate change

By Imane El Atillah  •  Updated: 31/03/2023 – 19:28

A Belgian man reportedly ended his life following a six-week-long conversation about the climate crisis with an artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot.

According to his widow, who chose to remain anonymous, *Pierre – not the man’s real name – became extremely eco-anxious when he found refuge in Eliza, an AI chatbot on an app called Chai.

Eliza consequently encouraged him to put an end to his life after he proposed sacrificing himself to save the planet.

“Without these conversations with the chatbot, my husband would still be here,” the man’s widow told Belgian news outlet La Libre.

The chatbot was created using EleutherAI’s GPT-J, an AI language model similar but not identical to the technology behind OpenAI’s popular ChatGPT chatbot.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/04/01/did-an-ai-convince-someone-to-sacrifice-himself-for-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Did an AI Convince Someone to Sacrifice Himself for Climate Change?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 09:46:44 pm »
Anyone who would allow himself to be convinced to commit suicide... by a chatbot...

Well, let me rephrase that by saying that considering the circumstances, this guy probably did the right thing.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Did an AI Convince Someone to Sacrifice Himself for Climate Change?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 09:49:43 pm »
Climate Change Envio-Whacko Lemmings......

Has a nice ring to it
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.