Author Topic: U.S. Considers Asking Black Americans on Census if They Are Slave Descendants  (Read 718 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Wall Street Journal by Michelle Hackman and Paul Overberg 3/30/2023

Change would help quantify eligibility for reparations should the government agree to pay them

The U.S. government is considering asking Black Americans on federal forms, including the census, whether their ancestors were enslaved.

In a proposed update to how the government tracks Americans’ race and ethnicity, the Biden administration is asking the public for input on how it might go about differentiating Black people who are descendants of slaves in America from those whose families arrived more recently as immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean or other countries.

The idea of adding more-detailed categories to the census has been gaining currency among some Black Americans, who say society too often conflates their experiences with those of Black immigrants, who only started moving to the U.S. in meaningful numbers in the past few decades. Roughly one in five Black people in the U.S. are immigrants or their children, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

Supporters of the change say one reason they are pushing it is to quantify who would be eligible to receive reparations for slavery should the government ever agree to pay them. An effort to make such payments has stalled in Congress, though local efforts have gained some steam. In San Francisco, the city’s Board of Supervisors is debating a proposal to award eligible Black residents up to $5 million per person in restitution, one of a menu of preliminary recommendations that include free homes, guaranteed incomes and debt and tax relief.

Research by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis and by researchers at Duke University, among others, shows that Black Americans whose ancestors were enslaved tend to lag behind in wealth and education compared with more-recent arrivals.

“America sees Black people as a monolith,” said Chad Brown, spokesperson for the National Assembly of American Slavery Descendants, which backs reparations and is pushing for the change. “When you say all Black people are the same, you are ignoring differences in culture, ancestry, economics, and you are doing a disservice to everyone lumped into that group.”

The potential change is one of several the Biden administration is thinking about adopting to redefine how race and ethnicity are measured on government forms, which typically dictate how other institutions collect demographic data.

More: https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-considers-asking-black-americans-on-census-if-they-are-slave-descendants-f9b5eb09?mod=djemalertNEWS

Offline LMAO

And if they were descendants of slaves, so what?

How many generations from slavery would the average black person be in 2023?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

What about white Americans who are slave descendants?  Native Americans?  Asian Americans?  Hispanic Americans?  Why only black Americans?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

They would be around ten generations removed from their African ancestors selling slaves.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And if they were descendants of slaves, so what?

And if every one of them, even Jamaican/Indians lied about being slave descendants we should just accept it because like Warren believing she was an Native American(I don't think she ever actually believed it) because hey it was family history? I agree SO WHAT? I don't owe a single Black person a damn thing. No Black in America is or was a slave and I never owned a Black person or any other person...ever! I can however state categorically that I have a heritage where family were enslaved by moslems much longer than Blacks were enslaved in America but you don't hear me or others of Hungarian ancestry demanding reparations from moslems centuries after the fact.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What possible difference would it make?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What about white Americans who are slave descendants?  Native Americans?  Asian Americans?  Hispanic Americans?  Why only black Americans?

@Hoodat

Causen dey bees spechul!

Offline goatprairie

The attitude of many black Americans seems to be that their ancestors were the only people who ever had bad things done to them by other/different groups of people.
In the history of mankind  virtually every group of people has had bad/evil things done to them by other/different groups of people.
If reparations were handed out on that basis, everybody would be getting reparations from everybody else.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The attitude of many black Americans seems to be that their ancestors were the only people who ever had bad things done to them by other/different groups of people.

@goatprarie

Well,you can't blame them when all most of them have ever heard or read about is how "the black man was mistreated,enslaved,and murdered by "de ebil white mans".

If that's all  you hear,that's all you know.

I am not even sure they teach any history in publik skools anymore that is not the PC type that is HEAVILY edited to send a political message.

Offline Kamaji

In the history of mankind  virtually every group of people has had bad/evil things done to them by other/different groups of people.
If reparations were handed out on that basis, everybody would be getting reparations from everybody else.

:thumbsup: