Author Topic: Milley: Don’t Invade Mexico  (Read 185 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Milley: Don’t Invade Mexico
« on: April 01, 2023, 12:44:18 pm »
Milley: Don’t Invade Mexico
The top U.S. general recommends military training and law enforcement to stem drug and migrant flows—not special operators and other forces.
KEVIN BARON | MARCH 31, 2023 04:00 PM ET

Watch Kevin Baron's interview with Gen. Mark Milley, part of Defense One's State of Defense series, here.

The U.S. military should not lead American counter-drug efforts in Mexico, nor operate against cartels there without the express consent of the Mexican government, said Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley. 

Republicans and conservative media pundits have seized on border security, often accusing the Biden administration of devoting insufficient attention and security forces to the issue. In recent Senate and House hearings about the president’s defense budget request, Milley and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin faced multiple questions from Republicans asking about the possibility of U.S. military intervention or for some greater role for troops in stopping the inbound flow of drugs, including fentanyl, and people.

President Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, has asked for “battle plans” to invade Mexico to “conduct specific military operations to destroy the cartels”, Rolling Stone reported this week. The article cited an internal Trump policy paper that says Mexico should be enlisted to help the U.S. with any counter-drug efforts, but says, “It is vital that Mexico not be led to believe that they have veto power to prevent the US from taking the actions necessary to secure its borders and people.”

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/03/milley-dont-invade-mexico/384678/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Milley: Don’t Invade Mexico
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 12:45:58 pm »
Why doesn't he just go behind Biden's back and call the Mexican military to tell them he won't let it happen.  Or has he already done it? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 12:51:00 pm »
Why doesn't he just go behind Biden's back and call the Mexican military to tell them he won't let it happen.  Or has he already done it? :whistle:

@rangerrebew

The cartel checks have already cleared,or she wouldn't be pushing this publicly.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 12:57:53 pm »
@rangerrebew

The cartel checks have already cleared,or she wouldn't be pushing this publicly.

Were the payments in cash or in drugs to sell on the street so there are no records of the deals?
Thomas Jefferson