General Category > Trump Legal Investigations

Michael Cohen Is Already Undermining the Trump Prosecution

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
 1:10 P.M.
Michael Cohen Is Already Undermining the Trump Prosecution Immediately after the indictment, he says he didn’t really mean his guilty plea.
By Ankush Khardori

It turns out it did not take long at all for Michael Cohen to throw a little wrench in the criminal prosecution of Donald Trump.

Late Thursday night, just hours after the news broke that the Manhattan district attorney’s office had obtained the indictment, Cohen decided this would be a great time to take advantage of the national spotlight and sit down for an interview with CNN’s Don Lemon and Alisyn Camerota. For several months, he has been interviewed by prosecutors and he’s testified before the grand jury about how Trump allegedly broke the law by directing Cohen to pay hush money to Stormy Daniels in 2016, which would likely make him a key witness against Trump at trial. Much of the CNN discussion entailed barely concealed gloating by Cohen, but at one point, he made clear what he had recently been hinting at: He believes he is not actually guilty of the federal-tax-evasion charges to which he pleaded guilty back in 2018.

“I have continuously told the same story. I’ve been shouting for five years from the rooftop,” Cohen said. “The lies by the Southern District of New York against me for the tax evasion, I actually hope it comes out. I have all the documents to show. There was no tax evasion. I’ve never in my life tax evade[d]. I’ve never filed [a] late tax return. I’ve never been audited. I’ve never received, you know, letters from the IRS. I have never had an opportunity going in to meet with an agent, and none of this is accurate.”

As I first noted several days ago, this is a major problem for Cohen’s credibility as a cooperating witness, but before we return to that, let’s quickly review the record.

When Cohen pleaded guilty, the charges included five counts of federal tax evasion stemming from his failure to report millions of dollars in income from taxi medallions he owned, which, according to the Southern District of New York, resulted “in the avoidance of taxes of more than $1.4 million due to the IRS.” As a fundamental part of a guilty plea in the federal system, the defendant has to acknowledge that he is, in fact, guilty of all the offenses — both factually and legally — which is what Cohen purported to do in 2018.

more
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/03/michael-cohen-is-already-undermining-the-trump-prosecution.html?utm_medium=s1&utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=nym

libertybele:
 :bkmk:

mountaineer:
What a buffoon he is.

WhatWouldReaganDo:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on March 31, 2023, 07:35:30 pm ---What a buffoon he is.

--- End quote ---
Trump hires only the best people.

corbe:

--- Quote from: WhatWouldReaganDo on March 31, 2023, 09:10:31 pm ---Trump hires only the best people.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for putting it so sarcastically @WhatWouldReaganDo That's the first thing that popped into my head also, but I don't want to get the Trumpers all riled up this early on a Friday night.

:beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version