General Category > Military/Defense News

Why we honor Vietnam Veterans Day

(1/1)

rangerrebew:
Why we honor Vietnam Veterans Day
 Jessica Evans

Published March 29, 2023 11:52:01

Each year on March 29, we observe National Vietnam Veterans Day. This day honors those who fought in the Vietnam War. When they returned from Vietnam, they were met with hatred, resentment and judgment, solely for doing their jobs. Now, we treat them as we always should have: with honor and respect.

It’s also a day to reflect on the lessons learned from the Vietnam War. In this way, we can show our resolve as Americans so that we don’t repeat the mistakes of that conflict.

When was National Vietnam Veterans Day established?

A presidential proclamation established National Vietnam Veterans Day in 2000 on the 25th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War. On March 29, 1973, the last remaining U.S. service members left Vietnam. So it’s only fitting that this date is observed.

Impact on American Military

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-culture/national-vietnam-war-veterans-day/

rangerrebew:
I don't know about anyone else, but I neither heard, saw, nor read anything about this on the 29th of this year.  As a Viet Nam Vet, I thank them all. 8bs8

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: rangerrebew on March 31, 2023, 01:25:46 pm ---I don't know about anyone else, but I neither heard, saw, nor read anything about this on the 29th of this year.  As a Viet Nam Vet, I thank them all. 8bs8

--- End quote ---
I have great respect for all who served, but I thought we honored all Veterans on November 11. I had never heard of Vietnam Veterans Day until your post. Apparently Vietnam Veterans Day began in 2017.

Appreciation for those who served and those they left behind was a theme at the local program for National Vietnam War Veterans Day, made an official holiday by President Donald Trump in 2017 and signed into law by an act of Congress.

Nor had I ever heard of Korean War veterans Armistice day :shrug:

What is Korean War Veterans Armistice Day? Three years after the memorial was finished, U.S. Code Title 36 was amended to recognize Korean War Veterans Armistice Day in the United States every July 27. While not a federal holiday, the law asks Americans to recognize the day with appropriate activities and ceremonies.

I now am wondering how many other Veterans Days we have, one for each war? Gulf War Veterans Day April 11, Desert Storm Veterans Day February 28.

I have no problem giving our Veterans all the recognition they deserve, but it sure would help if we knew about all of these official Veterans Days.

By the way did everyone remember to celebrate K-9 Veterans Day on March 13?

sneakypete:
I am strongly  oppossed to a special Veterans Day for VN vets,and I am a VN vet.

Those of us who served in the military during a time of war or other conflict are ALL veterans. No one group is "more special" than another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version