Author Topic: Navy moves forward with hypersonic, carrier-based weapon  (Read 86 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy moves forward with hypersonic, carrier-based weapon
« on: March 30, 2023, 04:08:44 pm »
Navy moves forward with hypersonic, carrier-based weapon
Posted on March 29, 2023 by Seapower Staff

Release from Naval Air Systems Command

Mar 28, 2023

NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND, Patuxent River, Md. —

The Navy awarded two contracts to Raytheon Missiles and Defense and Lockheed Martin March 27 for the initial development for a carrier suitable long range, high-speed missile designated Hypersonic Air Launched Offensive Anti-Surface (HALO).

The contracts, valued at a total of $116 million, is the first step to fielding a critical capability over the next decade that will address advanced threats and allow the Navy to operate in and control contested battle space in littoral waters and anti-access/area denial (A2/AD) environments.

The initial contracts to Raytheon and Lockheed Martin will provide technical maturation and development through preliminary design review of the propulsion system required for a carrier suitable hypersonic weapon system.  The contract period of performance for each award will end in December 2024 with each company’s preliminary design review working towards a prototype flight test.

HALO will be a carrier-based, high speed, long range air-launched weapon that will provide greater anti-surface warfare capability than what’s available today.

https://seapowermagazine.org/navy-moves-forward-with-hypersonic-carrier-based-weapon/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson